TravelMate 3212NWXMi - Urgent RAM Upgradation...!!!

Reaction score
TravelMate 3212NWXMi - Urgent RAM Upgradation...!!!

Respected nerds, techs, geeks and dear fellow members,

After months and years of waiting and speculation; I (poor soul who managed to purchase laptop first time in life) purchased one laptop few months back - TravelMate 3212NWXMi -

Presently by default the laptop came with -

1. 60 GB Hard Disk
2. 256 MB DDR II

Now I am finding that both of the above is posing as a terrible constraint in my use of laptop.

The laptop is terribly slowly and I find it very diffcult to use in reading word documents; PDFs etc...

I want to upgrade RAM as Maximum as possible...

From my preliminary analysis; what appears to me is that there may be two slots and maximum each slot can take 1 GB each...(I may be wrong)...

Few Questions in context of RAM Upgradation:

1. Is it wise to go for 1 GB each slot so that laptop is having 2 GB RAM...????

2. Does RAM of 2 GB will really boost speed of laptop like desktop...????

3. Which company (like transcend; hynix; zion etc etc; I am not sure) should i purchase these two RAM 1 GB each chip...????

4. Is there any compatibility issue of RAM with acer laptop model 3212NWXMi - I mean does it have to be of any particular specification....??? OR any RAM from any company would do...??? (This is MOST MOST IMPORTANT query...plz answer in detail).???

5. Does DDR (DDR 1) and DDR 11 really vary significantly in speed...???

Any help / advice / suggestion is more than welcome....Plz reply to my above questions...!!!!!

Best regards

Sunando Ghosh
Kolkata India

sunandoghosh at gmail dot com

Most Most IMP Question:

Is there any compatibility issue of RAM with acer laptop model 3212NWXMi - I mean does it have to be of any particular specification....??? OR any RAM from any company would do...??? (This is MOST MOST IMPORTANT query...plz answer in detail).???

I know certainly that I have asked too too many questions but then I most humbly rqeuest to plz plz come forward and give ur valuable / advice / opinion as I WILL BE BASING MY ENTIRE DECISION BASED ON REPLIED HERE....

Thanks for taking time to read this long post and possibly taking time to reply and sharing ur valuable wisdom...its truly appreciated....

Reaction score
First off you have to find the capacity with which the lappy can take IE 1G 2G Etc go to http://www.crucial.com/Run the scan and it will tell you exactly what you can and able to do.:)

And yes more RAM will do the trick;)

Reaction score
Hi Thanks a lot for ur valuable reply...

I really dont know how fast is 533MHz but was just wondering whether Laptop Acer 3212 (3210 series) is also capable of having higher speed RAM (more than 533 MHZ) and are DDR 2 RAM with speeds more than 533 MHz available in market....

I am attaching two screenshots.....

1. The RAM Test shown by website http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

http://img305.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crucialsystemtestcm3.jpg

2. User Manual of Acer laptop 3210 extract for RAM...

http://img445.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aceruserguideuy6.jpg

Plz be kind to clarify once again my queries....

Thanks always

Reaction score
As you have scanned your lappy> crucial informs you of what you can put in and what you cant? unfortunatley I cant read the results! going on my search,they have different specs for the same model [typical]:rolleyes: I would not try to TWEAK your lappy or Bang? it will go just as fast with a little more RAM, what you have is the lowest amount to run a puter buy 512 or1g and go from there. DDR 2 RAM Nope!! wont work your puter does not support it? do what it says on the crucial tin;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You either add one stick, or replace the existing stick and get two ... Stick with Crucial. ;)

All your CPU is, is a 133 ... it's a PIII renamed/rebadge/rehyped ... welcome to the numbers game. :D

Your PC ain't going any faster than the CPU ... more memory will give it room to breath, and will actually seem faster. :thumb:

user.gif

Ask a Question