Transfer addresses from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2000

Gary Gilbert

Please could someone out there explain the easiest way to
transfer email addresses and phone numbers from one XP
Outlook 2002 computer to another Win98 2nd edition
running Outlook 2000. I don't want to transfer all the
emails but only the addresses and calender infomation. I
can put the file in the XP shared folders file and then
transfer though the network by impoting from Outlook
2000. But I don't know which type of file to export from
the XP Outlook 2002.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Just put the Personal Folders file where the other installation can access
it. Open it in Outlook and drag and drop the information you need from that
PST file to the one the other installation is using.

Gary Gilbert

I have done as you asked, but can not find import (.pst)
on the Win 98 Outlook 2000 computer. There are other
options available. It could be because I am importing
into a French language version of Windows 98 and Outlook
2000 from a US language XP Outlook 2002 computer. Please
could you give a few more details of how to do this
transfer. I want to do it right and not make any mistake.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Please could someone out there explain the easiest way to
transfer email addresses and phone numbers from one XP
Outlook 2002 computer to another Win98 2nd edition
running Outlook 2000. I don't want to transfer all the
emails but only the addresses and calender infomation. I
can put the file in the XP shared folders file and then
transfer though the network by importing from Outlook
2000. But I don't know which type of file to export from
the XP Outlook 2002.

.

Gary Gilbert

I have managed to open the file called backup.pst in the
shared files of the XP computer using the Win 98 Outlook
2000, but nothing happens. I did enter the password
requested but there are still no address in my contact
box. What next?
I have done as you asked, but can not find import (.pst)
on the Win 98 Outlook 2000 computer. There are other
options available. It could be because I am importing
into a French language version of Windows 98 and Outlook
2000 from a US language XP Outlook 2002 computer. Please
could you give a few more details of how to do this
transfer. I want to do it right and not make any mistake.

Just put the Personal Folders file where the other installation can access
it. Open it in Outlook and drag and drop the
information
you need from that
PST file to the one the other installation is using.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Please could someone out there explain the easiest
way
infomation.
.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

What is backup.pst? That does not sound like the PST file your other
installation would be using. Transfer and open the one the first
installation is using.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

We're not using import here. Use the File > Open command.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Gary Gilbert said:
[...]

Could it be Outlook.pst?
[...]

"Gary Gilbert" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Please could someone out there explain the easiest way
transfer email addresses and phone numbers from one XP
Outlook 2002 computer to another Win98 2nd edition
running Outlook 2000. I don't want to transfer all the
emails but only the addresses and calender infomation.
can put the file in the XP shared folders file and then
transfer though the network by importing from Outlook
2000. But I don't know which type of file to export
from
the XP Outlook 2002.

.

.

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Possibly. R click your Root Folder in Outlook > Properties > Advanced
There you will see the name and location of your PST file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Could it be Outlook.pst?

wrote in message
Please could someone out there explain the easiest
way
transfer email addresses and phone numbers from one XP
Outlook 2002 computer to another Win98 2nd edition
running Outlook 2000. I don't want to transfer all the
emails but only the addresses and calender
infomation.
can put the file in the XP shared folders file and
then
transfer though the network by importing from Outlook
2000. But I don't know which type of file to export
from
the XP Outlook 2002.

.

.

.

Gary Gilbert

Thanks Russ. Your advice worked! Thanks very much. It
seems that by choosing only the contacts to export, I was
able to create and export a file called backup.pst and
open it using the Win98 computer and I now have a
personal folder with only the contacts and not all the
emails, which is what I wanted. Before I reallized that I
had succeeded, I managed to also export the outlook.pst
file and also opened it in the Win98 Outlook. In the end
I ended up with 4 personal files and two of them had all
the emails as well. I managed to close the unwanted
personal folders except for one. That one, I altered the
file in the path by over writing it with another
backup.pst and when I try to delete the folder, I get a
message.......

"Impossible to extract the folder, impossible to access
the file\\GARY\SharedDocs\backup.pst. Handle not valid."

Now that I have the personal folder that I wanted, I can
now access my contacts and so I have accomplish my task.
The only problem now is that if some one clicks on the
extra personal folder the computer freezes up for about
one minute and then gives that message listed above. If
the words of the message are not extactly correct it is
because I am translating them to English from French. Do
you know a way I can delete this unwanted folder?

wrote in message
Please could someone out there explain the easiest
way
transfer email addresses and phone numbers from one XP
Outlook 2002 computer to another Win98 2nd edition
running Outlook 2000. I don't want to transfer
all
the
emails but only the addresses and calender
infomation.
can put the file in the XP shared folders file and
then
transfer though the network by importing from Outlook
2000. But I don't know which type of file to export
from
the XP Outlook 2002.

.

.

.

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

If you can't close it from the context menu, you'll have to edit the
registry.
Try going into your registry at this point:
(Win 9x) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles\<your profile name>
(Win NT/2000/XP) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\<your profile name>
Look in the tree under that point (it should be full of keys with long
hexidecimal value names) and look for a section that references the PST file
you want off of your folder tree. Export that section (for safety) and then
delete it.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

wrote in message
Please could someone out there explain the easiest
way
transfer email addresses and phone numbers from
one XP
Outlook 2002 computer to another Win98 2nd edition
running Outlook 2000. I don't want to transfer all
the
emails but only the addresses and calender
infomation.
can put the file in the XP shared folders file and
then
transfer though the network by importing from
Outlook
2000. But I don't know which type of file to export
from
the XP Outlook 2002.

.

.

.

.

Gary Gilbert

I am not really sure what you mean by going into the
registry. Is that MSDOS? I think I may be in over my
head. I have changed the name of that personal folder
to "do not click on this!!!" and I think I will leave it
at that unless I get the urge to be brave.

wrote in message
[...]

No, it is not MSDOS. But if you are not familiar with editing the registry
and can live with the way tings are--that's the best solution.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Subsystem\Profiles\ said:
[...]

Could it be Outlook.pst?

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Russ, My wife thanks you too so that now she will
have all my phone numbers and email addresses on her
computer. I will take your advice and leave well enough
alone. I am very pleased with all the help you have given
me. I have learned a lot. I don't know if Microsoft is
paying you for your advice, but if they don't they
should!
Subsystem\Profiles\ said:
[...]

Could it be Outlook.pst?
wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
[email protected]...
[...]

You're most welcome and your kind thanks is appreciated. No one here is
paid, nor do we ask to be. Newsgroups are one of the few remnants of the
collegiality that typified the early Internet. Vince helped me here (7 years
ago) so I started helping some others with what I learned. Perhaps you'll do
the same, and so it goes... pass it on and we can all muddle through
together.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

[...]

[...]