TrackerV3 - Advanced File System Explorer - Preview AVG, Text, Binary

BillR

I am surprised this hasn't been discussed in acf. Previews everything
- audio, video, graphics, embedded icons, text extracted from binaries
-- I can think of except zips, html, and less common formats. Maybe
there is a trick for the first two but this isn't an IrfanView
replacement.

Main page says "reserved for private use, educational use, and
non-profit use only." FYI, I have emailed support regarding some
inconsistencies between the ReadMe and the site.

I'm not including my usual extensive description because the site
itself is worth a visit. I wish I could send a lot of software
developers to review it. I want the software to succeed just because
the site provides such a complete preview of the product. Great set
of screenshots. Even one of the install directory linked from the
download page. I wish other developers did half as much.

http://www.trackerv3.com
http://www.trackerv3.com/download/trkv340.zip
(scanned with AntiVir, avast!, AVG, BitDefender, Norton)

ver 3.40.0025, released 30-Oct-2003
download 695 KB install 1.2 MB
Full version with no restrictions whatsoever [commercial and home]
Automatic installer (Install.exe) and uninstaller (Unwise32.exe)
included
No files are added to your system [directory] ... and your registry is
not touched. Also running the program does not change your system or
registry.

Requirements/Exceptions: VB5 runtime files; one added dll, GdiPlus.dll
(GDI+),
for pre-XP. Note that this 1 meg dll is included with .net framework
and some products. I already have 4 copies. The site fails to
mention that the dll goes in c:/program files/TrackerV3 or equivalent.

Regards,
BillR

n e a d

BillR wrote:

[snip]
Main page says "reserved for private use, educational use, and
non-profit use only." FYI, I have emailed support regarding some
inconsistencies between the ReadMe and the site.
Regards,
BillR

I may have jumped the gun on this one. From the readme file:

License Information
--------------------
TrackerV3 is shareware.
30 day free trial, US$25 per license if you decide to keep it.
The unregistered version is fully functional, but you get reminder
messages and certain functions can be used only a limited number
of times per session.

Would this be one of the "inconsistencies" you stated above? As it
stands, this would be considered "crippleware" on a good day.

Please let us know if this is TRULY FREEWARE. I have my doubts at this
point.

-sam

Sietse Fliege

n said:
License Information
--------------------
TrackerV3 is shareware.
30 day free trial, US$25 per license if you decide to keep it.
The unregistered version is fully functional, but you get reminder
messages and certain functions can be used only a limited number
of times per session.

Would this be one of the "inconsistencies" you stated above? As it
stands, this would be considered "crippleware" on a good day.

Please let us know if this is TRULY FREEWARE. I have my doubts at
this point.

I installed version 3.40.0.23 from 2003-10-27 two days ago.
It's now at version 3.40.0.25 from 2003-10-30).
(May mean that it is rapidly being developed?)

I also noticed: "certain functions can be used only a limited number of
times per session", but I have not been really using it, so I cannot
tell whether this really is true.
It also shows a reminder message (at least?) at every startup.
These things have kept me from mentioning it here.
I guess that the 30day trial is for the professional license.

It should also be mentioned that it primarily lets you preview
multimedia files. So no rtf files for instance.

vsj

BillR wrote:

[snip]
[...]

From the home page:
Hello and welcome to the home of award-winning file manager TrackerV3!
Have a look at the overview, check out the recent history, download
your free personal copy now, and experience the power of TrackerV3 at
home.

And:
* You have the choice between the home license or the professional
license. Both of these licenses provide you with all features, without
any restrictions or time limits. The home license, which is free of
charge, is reserved for private use, educational use, and non-profit
use only. A professional license, however, is needed for commercial use
in the corporate, government or business environment. It is illegal to
use TrackerV3 in the corporate, government or business environment with
just a home license.

Sounds like freeware to me.

BillR

(e-mail address removed) (BillR) wrote in message
Main page says "reserved for private use, educational use, and
non-profit use only." FYI, I have emailed support regarding some
inconsistencies between the ReadMe and the site.

Author confirmed via private email that "readme.txt is out of date";
"NO NAGS AT ALL" (removed startup nag from latest release); "NO
features AT
ALL are disabled" in home version; pro = commercial/for-profit while
home = non-commercial/non-profit.

Not as powerful as specialized and commercial applications but handy
for checking a variety of files. And I appreciate the detail provided
by the site.

BillR

Sietse Fliege

BillR said:
(e-mail address removed) (BillR) wrote in message

Author confirmed via private email that "readme.txt is out of date";
"NO NAGS AT ALL" (removed startup nag from latest release); "NO
features AT
ALL are disabled" in home version; pro = commercial/for-profit while
home = non-commercial/non-profit.

Not as powerful as specialized and commercial applications but handy
for checking a variety of files. And I appreciate the detail provided
by the site.

Thanks Bill :)

Just to be sure:
As I reported, my 3 days older version does show a reminder screen with
every startup and there is no way to turn that off.
I take it that when I download version 3.40.0.25, I will no longer see
that screen?

Sietse Fliege

OOPS I overlooked that. :(
Thanks Bill :)

Just to be sure:
As I reported, my 3 days older version does show a reminder screen
with every startup and there is no way to turn that off.
I take it that when I download version 3.40.0.25, I will no longer see
that screen?

Never mind. I will download the newest version.

BillR

Sietse Fliege said:
Sietse Fliege wrote:

Thanks for all your contributions, Sietse Fliege. (BTW, I've missed
the fine print more than once or twice myself.)

My install of 3.40.0.25 does not have an initial nag.

(2 excerpts -- with permission)
Donald Lessau, support at TrackerV3, replied to several questions
concerning the home version on Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:43:17 +0100 with:

Presumably the next release (time unspecified) will remove any
confusion. The price is for the Pro license.

Regards,
BillR

BillR

THREAD IS ON TOPIC.

My install of 3.40.0.25 does not have an initial nag. The developer
has stated that the readme file is in error. Etc.

Please see full reply in main thread.