tracing precedent by double clicking cell

This is about tracing a precedent / dependent in an excel sheet. If we have
to trace either of these, tools>auditing>trace precedent/dependent command is
used, normally. However, i have seen on one excel sheet that this can be done
by simply double clicking the cell in/from which there is a reference. I am
surprised to see this as our work can be greatly reduced while tracing links.

In Excel 2003, if a cell is either double-clicked or F2 is touched, the
precedents are outlined. This may apply to other version of Excel. To get
the auditting arrows to appear would require a macro.

Debra Dalgleish

Choose Tools>Options
On the Edit tab, remove the check mark from 'Edit directly in cell',
then click OK
When you double-click on a cell that contains a formula, the first
reference should be activated.

Jim Rech

If you turn off Edit Directly in Cells under Tools, Options, Edit then
double clicking a cell will select its precedents. Otherwise double
clicking a cells puts it in edit mode.

Another easy way to select a cell's precedents is to press Ctrl-[.

--
Jim