tracert from Windows XP Professional

John Haverty

I am using a wireless connection and when I try to
tracert to a address it does not work. I goes out
through the wrong IP address. Thus, I am also unable to
ping any addresses from my laptop.

Here is a tracert to www.cnn.com:

Tracing route to cnn.com [64.236.16.84]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 77 ms 11 ms 20 ms 10.209.254.254
2 *

I cannot find any way to get rid of the "10" in front of
the address. I use to have the PC on a 10 network, but
now I am using a LinkSys wireless router with an IP
address of 192.168.1.1.

I have searched through the Microsoft site and I cannot
find any reason for this to happen. Someone at work
suggested that it might have to do with the IP Host
Table, but I could not find anything more about that.

Ideas?

John

Trackman [-00-]

Can you confirm your router device is properly configured (usually through
their web admin tool)

The first hop on the trace route output is generally the router/gateway
device.

Marc Reynolds [MSFT]

hi,

Check your default gateway setting? Is it the 10.209.254.254 address? If so
you need to change it to a gateway on the client's local subnet.

Thanks,
Marc Reynolds
Microsoft Technical Support

John Haverty

Paul,

I have another computer (Windows 95) set up hooked directly to the
LinkSys and I can ping without any problem from that system. When I
looked at this problem a month or so ago I completely reset the
LinkSys router to make sure everything was back to factory defaults.
At this point I believe that it is and it is something with my laptop.

I was reading through some other Microsoft sites and I found some
other discussions about this... not many, but some. I am starting to
think that it is a Microsoft patch that I installed that caused this
problem. I have heard "rumors" about this from others, but nothing
definite from anyone either. I also could not find any official
mention from Microsoft in their Knowledge base about anything such as
what I am experiencing.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

John

John Haverty

Marc,

Can you please point me to where I would find the default gateway? I
tried checking the TCP/IP settings and while I did see "Default
Gateway" listed, it was greyed out because the IP address is
automatically assigned. Is there another place I can find the default
gateway?

John

John Haverty

Marc,

One other note, when I do ipconfig /all I am showing that the gateway
is set to the LinkSys router:

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lawrence.ks.us
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell TrueMobile 1180
Internal 802.11
b Mini PCI Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-B0-86-CE
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
24.124.0.6
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 01,
2003 12:55:09 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 02, 2003
12:55:09 PM

Let me know if you see anything there that might be causing the
problem.

Joh

Paul Russell

Marc

It sounds like this one PC is in a misconfigured state.

Check the configuration (either through the connections property settings in
the network connections folder or through IPCONFIG /ALL from the command
prompt).

If it has been setup by a DHCP server try do to a repair or IPCONFIG /RENEW
and let me know how it goes.

--

Paul.

"Trackman [-00-]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Can you confirm your router device is properly configured (usually through
their web admin tool)

The first hop on the trace route output is generally the router/gateway
device.

John Haverty

Paul,

I posted in another message my current ipconfig /all settings. What
is odd is that I can get to web sites (I am using the laptop now)
without any problem. I can telnet, ftp, etc. to sites. But if I try
to ping or tracert to a site (either by name or IP) it fails.

John

John Haverty

Well, I thought the problem was only happening on my Windows XP
laptop. I figured I had better try doing a ping/tracert from my
Windows 95 machine. It is happening there too. I sent a note to
LinkSys customer support to see if they could tell me how to configure
the router. I tried resetting the router as well as turning it off
and it appears to still be configured wrong.

It is still odd to me that I can continue to get out to the Internet
through the LinkSys router when it will not allow me to ping or
tracert.

John

John Haverty

I sent a note to LinkSys customer support, but I have not
heard back. The problem does appear to be something with
the LinkSys router. If anyone knows how to correct this
problem, please let me know.

John

John Haverty

Ok, after playing around with my laptop and changing different things
I found out that ping and tracert had been disabled by my cable
company. Because of viruses, they have temporarily disabled ping and
tracert. I could swear that I was able to do it from one computer
(Win 95) and not from the other a few weeks ago. When both of them
would not allow ping/tracert, I sent a note to customer support.

Ugh! I thought it was my system all this time and come to find out it
was my ISP.

Thanks for the suggestions and I wanted to post a follow-up to let you
know that it is resolved.

John