Toshiba Satellite not booting

Reaction score
When I turn my Toshiba Satellite P25-S509 on, it gives

the following screen:

-Safe Mode

-Safe Mode with Networking

-Safe Mode with Command Prompt

-Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

-Start Windows Normally

None of these options will allow me to start Windows. When I click on any of them, it goes through the motion of starting Windows, but then takes me back to tihs same screen. Is there anything else I can try?

When I hit the "s" button while re-booting, it gives the message:

\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file

Please HELLLLLLP!

(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
hexx1 Welcome to PC Review:wave:
Suggest you delete you email address:thumb:
What Operating System are you using?

Reaction score
Windows XP, home edition

I am using Windows XP, home edition.
The message is:

< Windows root >\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
hexx1 said:
I am using Windows XP, home edition.
The message is:

< Windows root >\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of that file ... it is telling you what is needed.

http://www.analogduck.com/main/node/294

user.gif

Reaction score
Windows re-boot

So I inserted the Windows disc and then turned on the laptop. I pressed "F2" to take me to the PhoenixBIOS, then selected the "Boot" from "CD-ROM/DVD Drive" and moved it to the top. Then I exited the BIOS and it took me to this screen:

*********************Welcome to the Toshiba Recovery Utility. This process will restore the original default system install on your hard drive. Note that the current contents of your hard drive will be erased and replaced by the default system install. You should back up your system before continuing.*********************It gives me the option of:
F1 = OK, F2 = cancel

Is there anyway to make a copy of all of my files, or will this process erase everything on my harddrive? Is there a way to start the computer without erasing everything?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oops, good old propriety manufactured PCs/laptops/notebooks ... cut corners don't they ... no "real" Windows CD. :rolleyes:

Well, anybodies Win XP home edition will do the the job ... beg or borrow. :D

Reaction score
continuation

O.k., I've obtained a Windows XP home edition CD and am no longer using the recovery disc that came with the laptop. I have inserted it, had the computer boot from it, then pressed "R". I followed the steps and entered 1.) D:
2.) cd i386 3.) copy ntldr C:_____then the following message came up, "The file could not be copied." 4.) I then typed in copy ntdetect.com C:__the same thing happened, it said "The file could not be copied."

Am I doing something wrong?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I had this same problem, i know how to deal with it but i dont want to risk you over writing your information.
This is from memory so it may not be accurate :(
1) insert windows cd and set computer to start from cd drive
2) then boot from the windows cd, once it give you the option to install window on a partion choose it
3) If i am correct then the cd will detect that you have a 'damaged' install and will give you the option to repair windows (not to be confused with the other repair tool)
4) select it and it should work

Once again its been 3-4 weeks since it happened but it should be right.... i hope :D

Reaction score
O.k., I set the computer to start from CD, then put in the Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition CD, let it go through the motions. Then did as you suggested, but it didn't give me the option to start from a partition. It reads:
Windows XP Home Edition Setup================Setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD. Please insert one of the following windows product CDs into the CD-ROM drive: [list of Windows versions], the the options, When the CD is in the drive, press ENTER or to quit Setup, press F3. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I pressed ENTER and it brings me back to this screen. I know the CD is a valid product because it installed on my home computer a year ago. The only other CD I have is the CD that came with the laptop, but it seems to be a pared-down version of this full Windows CD. Should I try that instead, even though it says it will re-write everything? That means I'll lose my data, right? Would it be prudent to take it into the professionals, or do you think they will be unable to save my files? Lots of questions! I'm in a conundrum now!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
you got me stumped, forgot that it was a laptop....
unless any one else can give any more info, i suggest getting a pro to look at it. Just be prepaired to spent major cash to recover info.

Reaction score
Thanks!

I'll take it to the local computer shop. They charge like $75 for a diagnostic. Maybe they can get it to work, or at least tell me if all is lost. There are a few files in the laptop worth saving, and I'm willing to at least pay the 75 bucks to try and recover them, as long as the entirety is under $250-$300. Anything over that, I'll just re-write over everything with the laptop recovery CD.

I totally appreciate your help though! I can at least say I tried to fix it on my own! There was one other website that I looked at a few posts ago, but I went to the URL and it was way above my computer-literacy talents (which are very minimal)! Take care!

Ask a Question