Toshiba is selling bad laptops

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Alejandro

For your information.. I have lived in the UK, France, Spain, the US and
Canada.. in all of those countries, I have always gotten along with people
regardless of their race, creed or culture..

I am one of the most UNRACIST people you will ever know, but I know when to
back off somebody who is determined not to understand me.. I tried to help
you, and in the background, did quite a lot of research on your problem..
for that, you replied "if it is my problem how come are you giving
opinions?"

You appear to have a lack of understanding re the English language.. I will
admit that English is quite a sloppy language in its way.. so maybe you
should take your problem to a newsgroup where you can understand and be
better understood..

This is not malicious advice..I am sure that you would tell me the same if I
were to try to resolve my problems in your mother tongue..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Yes... they ae fixing them. The problem has existed since last year. Long
discussions at www.notebookforums.com It's a static problem. Mine doesn't
freeze... it just reboots.

And yes I also have an A75.

jeffrey

Hi,

Sorry for coming in late on this. I have worked with many different brands
of computers and notebooks. Of all the Toshiba`s I worked with, I have had
no problems with them. I haven`t bothered to check out your link, but
sometimes a computer will reboot or freeze at random if its power supply
isn`t clean. Meaning its not getting a regular input of current. Even
laptops, if the power supply setup is faulty, it could give too much or too
little power. For example you could be running the notebook fine for hours,
then pop in a CD or DVD and the system reboots or crashes. This could
happen when the CD drive starts to draw power and the faulty powersystem
can`t compensate and the system reboots.

I had that problem on a desktop that I was building. The PC would boot up,
but when it started the CD drive to start the OS install, the system
rebooted. Found out the powersupply was faulty. It gave out the proper
voltage, but when putting a load on it, the wattage wasn`t high enough for
the CD drive. The electro static discharge can also do the same thing. If
the PC get a sudden jolt, it will also reboot. I saw a person with an open
PC trying to disconnect a piece of hardware inside his PC case, the
disconnect caused a quick powerspike and the PC rebooted. PC motherboard is
very picky about its power, sudden drops or spikes can cause it to reboot,
freeze or crash completely.

I would still advise you take it to a Toshiba service center and have them
do a repair. Most times a repair to a notebook is they take the defective
hardware out, trash it and put in a new one. For them the replace of a
motherboard, memory, hard drive, etc, is fairly cheap. Only way you are
going to get it working is to take there. Toshiba is not responsible of
replacing your Notebook with a new one, they are just responsible to repair
it under the warranty. The place where you bought it is responsible for
replacing it with a new one. If you have bought that notebook directly from
Toshiba retailer, then they would be responsible to replace it with a new
one. I would suggest buying your PC hardware from a place that has at least
a 30 to 90 return policy, not some 14day one.

Jeff

Jim Macklin

This is a group effort, I saw your question and gave you the
answer to your question.

message | sorry I didnt say your name, I asked to somebody who can
help, not to
| somebody that says the same things that Toshiba's customer
service says.

in message
| | > Because YOU asked.

in
| > message | > | if it is my problem how come are you giving opinions?
| > |
| > | "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <[email protected]>
wrote
| > in message

| > option is to take it
| > you.. in the

wrote
| > in message
| > ASP (Authorized
told
| > me that they
after
| > they try to fix
have
| > "static" problems,
and
| > nothing happens.
touch.
| > extra dust in the
ago.
| > So I think the are
| > NEW and EXPENSIVE
| > well KNOWN problem.

| > getting a degree of
| > problems that could all

| > grilles with a
| > understand that some
| > tape.. not a good

no
| > good.. and in the
| > Center..

wrote
| > in message
and

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=90243&messageID=1014188

| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

Some people take a defective product personally. Other
people are unable to use any product since they fail to use
it properly. Some products are very unforgiving, such as
explosives, other products, bubble gum for example are
pretty straight forward, but used improperly can still kill.
Computers may be the most complex machines of the age, and
they do require nearly perfect design, manufacture and
operation.

As you said, Toshiba does have repair stations and new
products always entail a learning curve at all stages of
design, production and marketing. The user also needs to
RTFM and take some responsibility both before and after a
purchase.

message | Jim

| There appears to be some cultural misunderstanding here..
in the interests
| of World Peace, I will back out gracefully.. I have gotten
to the point
| where I really don't care if his Toshiba notebook works or
doesn't.. if it
| is a hardware issue with Toshiba, he shouldn't be posting
here anyway..

| I even looked through some of the forums to try to get a
handle on what is
| happening with the silly notebooks before I answered.. if
he wants to sit on
| his notebook, I am not about to stop him.. :)
|
| --
| Mike Hall
| MVP - Windows Shell/user

in message
| | > Because YOU asked.

in
| > message | > | if it is my problem how come are you giving opinions?
| > |
| > | "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <[email protected]>
wrote
| > in message

| > option is to take it
| > you.. in the

wrote
| > in message
| > ASP (Authorized
told
| > me that they
after
| > they try to fix
have
| > "static" problems,
and
| > nothing happens.
touch.
| > extra dust in the
ago.
| > So I think the are
| > NEW and EXPENSIVE
| > well KNOWN problem.

| > getting a degree of
| > problems that could all

| > grilles with a
| > understand that some
| > tape.. not a good

no
| > good.. and in the
| > Center..

wrote
| > in message
and
| > freezeing at random
| > Toshiba send
| > computers! There is a

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=90243&messageID=1014188

| > |
| > |

jeffrey

Hi Jim,

The OP also has to realise, Toshiba is not responsible in replacing his
notebook, they are only required to repair it. The place he bought the
Notebook is responsible for replacing it. Unfortunately, he purchased it at
a place with a very short return policy. He just need to take it to a
Toshiba repair center and let the warranty do its job. I have been told
Toshiba has one of the best repair services, I fortunately haven`t had need
of their services.

Jeff

Jim Macklin

BestBuy has a published return policy that varies by
category, they will refund or exchange some things at 30
days, no questions asked. Their policy on laptops is 14
days...
Policy for Computers, Monitors, Printers, Notebook
Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras and Radar Detectors:
Return items with a valid receipt, the original package and
all package contents within 14 days for a refund or
exchange. A 15% restocking fee will be charged on returns
and exchanges of any opened notebook computer, camcorder,
digital camera or radar detector, unless defective.
Note the last part "unless defective. You can return
defective items. Have you ever wondered about the
"refurbished" computers sold Tiger Direct or even HP and
Dell on their web sites? These are returned items that
cannot be resold as new. If you buy a computer and take the
unopened box out the door and walk back in two minutes to
exchange or get a refund the unopened box cannot be legally
returned to the shelf as "new" but must be described as
previously sold, the price break can be zero or substantial.
But the item will carry whatever warranty the seller lists.

Most state laws establish legal requirements for defective
products. Uniform Commercial Code applies in the USA.

The typical user buys a new item, unpacks it and throws all
the boxes, papers and CD sleeves away (judging by the
questions asked about installing software) so refunds,
exchanges and returns become harder to do.

| Hi Jim,
|
| The OP also has to realise, Toshiba is not responsible in
replacing his
| notebook, they are only required to repair it. The place
he bought the
| Notebook is responsible for replacing it. Unfortunately,
he purchased it at
| a place with a very short return policy. He just need to
take it to a
| Toshiba repair center and let the warranty do its job. I
have been told
| Toshiba has one of the best repair services, I fortunately
haven`t had need
| of their services.
|
| Jeff

in message
| | > Some people take a defective product personally. Other
| > people are unable to use any product since they fail to
use
| > it properly. Some products are very unforgiving, such
as
| > explosives, other products, bubble gum for example are
| > pretty straight forward, but used improperly can still
kill.
| > Computers may be the most complex machines of the age,
and
| > they do require nearly perfect design, manufacture and
| > operation.
| >
| > As you said, Toshiba does have repair stations and new
| > products always entail a learning curve at all stages of
| > design, production and marketing. The user also needs
| > RTFM and take some responsibility both before and after
| > purchase.
| >

| > --

in
| > message | > | Jim
| > |
| > | There appears to be some cultural misunderstanding
here..
| > in the interests
| > | of World Peace, I will back out gracefully.. I have
gotten
| > to the point
| > | where I really don't care if his Toshiba notebook
works or
| > doesn't.. if it
| > | is a hardware issue with Toshiba, he shouldn't be
posting
| > here anyway..
| > |
| > | I even looked through some of the forums to try to get
| > handle on what is
| > | happening with the silly notebooks before I answered..
if
| > he wants to sit on
| > | his notebook, I am not about to stop him.. :)
| > |
| > | --
| > | Mike Hall
| > | MVP - Windows Shell/user
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message

wrote
| > in
opinions?
| > | > |
| > wrote

only

| > wrote
| > to an
the
| > told
OK
| > after
doenst
| > have
speakers
| > and
the
| > touch.
days
| > ago.
repair
experiencing

<[email protected]>

and
several

speaker
also
insulation

| > no
Service

<[email protected]>
| > wrote
itself
| > and
days.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=90243&messageID=1014188

vedant.lath

well, he was doing this (mentioned in the cnet forum):
After you have sent an e-mail to (e-mail address removed) start to
get the word out. By posting on forums, newsgroups, mailing lists,
Websites, News/radio, Friends, Family, really any means possible just
get the word out of what we are doing. Just copy and paste this message
to spread the word.
So ignore the uncomfortable messages.

Enough already!

Manufacturers like IBM, Compaq and Toshiba have been in the business of
selling Laptops for so many years and occasionally a design fault gets
through to the real world.

How they deal with it is up to their Service and Marketing Departments.

Under their warranty Terms and Conditions, they are generally obliged to FIX
any faults which may arise during use of the product. If the fault is of a
significant nature [generally cost to repair determines this] they will
replace the unit.

An alert has been posted in this Hardware forum, but is it really necessary
to discuss the Pros, Cons etc of this post ad nauseum.

If a person who reads your warning chooses to buy the Toshiba, so 'On their
Head Be It'.

jeffrey

Hi Jim

Its been a long while since I bought anything from a electronics store in
the states. I`ve been in Japan for the past 10 years. Still the fact is,
the OP beleives that Toshiba should replace the notebook instead of
repairing it. If he bought it directly from Toshiba, then they would be
responsible. But since he bought it from a retailer, Toshiba`s obligation
to that notebook is repairs only, not a full replacement. Its the retailers
responsibility to replace it. Almost like retail version of the OS versus
OEM.

Jeff

Jim Macklin said:
BestBuy has a published return policy that varies by
category, they will refund or exchange some things at 30
days, no questions asked. Their policy on laptops is 14
days...
Policy for Computers, Monitors, Printers, Notebook
Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras and Radar Detectors:
Return items with a valid receipt, the original package and
all package contents within 14 days for a refund or
exchange. A 15% restocking fee will be charged on returns
and exchanges of any opened notebook computer, camcorder,
digital camera or radar detector, unless defective.
Note the last part "unless defective. You can return
defective items. Have you ever wondered about the
"refurbished" computers sold Tiger Direct or even HP and
Dell on their web sites? These are returned items that
cannot be resold as new. If you buy a computer and take the
unopened box out the door and walk back in two minutes to
exchange or get a refund the unopened box cannot be legally
returned to the shelf as "new" but must be described as
previously sold, the price break can be zero or substantial.
But the item will carry whatever warranty the seller lists.

Most state laws establish legal requirements for defective
products. Uniform Commercial Code applies in the USA.

The typical user buys a new item, unpacks it and throws all
the boxes, papers and CD sleeves away (judging by the
questions asked about installing software) so refunds,
exchanges and returns become harder to do.

| Hi Jim,
|
| The OP also has to realise, Toshiba is not responsible in
replacing his
| notebook, they are only required to repair it. The place
he bought the
| Notebook is responsible for replacing it. Unfortunately,
he purchased it at
| a place with a very short return policy. He just need to
take it to a
| Toshiba repair center and let the warranty do its job. I
have been told
| Toshiba has one of the best repair services, I fortunately
haven`t had need
| of their services.
|
| Jeff

in message
| | > Some people take a defective product personally. Other
| > people are unable to use any product since they fail to
use
| > it properly. Some products are very unforgiving, such
as
| > explosives, other products, bubble gum for example are
| > pretty straight forward, but used improperly can still
kill.
| > Computers may be the most complex machines of the age,
and
| > they do require nearly perfect design, manufacture and
| > operation.
| >
| > As you said, Toshiba does have repair stations and new
| > products always entail a learning curve at all stages of
| > design, production and marketing. The user also needs
| > RTFM and take some responsibility both before and after
| > purchase.
| >

| > --

in
| > message | > | Jim
| > |
| > | There appears to be some cultural misunderstanding
here..
| > in the interests
| > | of World Peace, I will back out gracefully.. I have
gotten
| > to the point
| > | where I really don't care if his Toshiba notebook
works or
| > doesn't.. if it
| > | is a hardware issue with Toshiba, he shouldn't be
posting
| > here anyway..
| > |
| > | I even looked through some of the forums to try to get
| > handle on what is
| > | happening with the silly notebooks before I answered..
if
| > he wants to sit on
| > | his notebook, I am not about to stop him.. :)
| > |
| > | --
| > | Mike Hall
| > | MVP - Windows Shell/user
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message

wrote
| > in
opinions?
| > | > |
| > wrote

only

| > wrote
| > to an
the
| > told
OK
| > after
doenst
| > have
speakers
| > and
the
| > touch.
days
| > ago.
repair
experiencing

<[email protected]>

and
several

speaker
also
insulation

| > no
Service

<[email protected]>
| > wrote
itself
| > and
days.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=90243&messageID=1014188

Jim Macklin

Yep, doesn't matter where you live, the buyer of a product
probably did not investigate their rights and
responsibilities BEFORE the purchase.
And you're exactly right, Toshiba owes Best Buy, Best Buy
owes the retail buyer. And only what is in writing can be
enforced, a salesman's promise just doesn't hold water.

| Hi Jim
|
| Its been a long while since I bought anything from a
electronics store in
| the states. I`ve been in Japan for the past 10 years.
Still the fact is,
| the OP beleives that Toshiba should replace the notebook
instead of
| repairing it. If he bought it directly from Toshiba, then
they would be
| responsible. But since he bought it from a retailer,
Toshiba`s obligation
| to that notebook is repairs only, not a full replacement.
Its the retailers
| responsibility to replace it. Almost like retail version
of the OS versus
| OEM.
|
| Jeff

in message
| | > BestBuy has a published return policy that varies by
| > category, they will refund or exchange some things at 30
| > days, no questions asked. Their policy on laptops is 14
| > days...
| > Policy for Computers, Monitors, Printers, Notebook
| > Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras and Radar
Detectors:
| > Return items with a valid receipt, the original package
and
| > all package contents within 14 days for a refund or
| > exchange. A 15% restocking fee will be charged on
returns
| > and exchanges of any opened notebook computer,
camcorder,
| > digital camera or radar detector, unless defective.
| > Note the last part "unless defective. You can return
| > defective items. Have you ever wondered about the
| > "refurbished" computers sold Tiger Direct or even HP and
| > Dell on their web sites? These are returned items that
| > cannot be resold as new. If you buy a computer and take
the
| > unopened box out the door and walk back in two minutes
| > exchange or get a refund the unopened box cannot be
legally
| > returned to the shelf as "new" but must be described as
| > previously sold, the price break can be zero or
substantial.
| > But the item will carry whatever warranty the seller
lists.

| > Most state laws establish legal requirements for
defective
| > products. Uniform Commercial Code applies in the USA.
| >

| > --
| >

| > The typical user buys a new item, unpacks it and throws
all
| > the boxes, papers and CD sleeves away (judging by the
| > questions asked about installing software) so refunds,
| > exchanges and returns become harder to do.

| > |
| > | The OP also has to realise, Toshiba is not responsible
in
| > replacing his
| > | notebook, they are only required to repair it. The
place
| > he bought the
| > | Notebook is responsible for replacing it.
Unfortunately,
| > he purchased it at
| > | a place with a very short return policy. He just need
| > take it to a
| > | Toshiba repair center and let the warranty do its job.
| > have been told
| > | Toshiba has one of the best repair services, I
fortunately
| > haven`t had need
| > | of their services.
| > |
| > | Jeff
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
Other
| > use
such
| > as
are
still
| > kill.
age,
| > and
and

new
stages of
needs
after

rights;
overcome.

wrote
| > in
| > | > |
| > here..
have
| > gotten
| > works or
| > posting
| > | > |
answered..
| > if
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > wrote

| > wrote
| > opinions?
| > | > | > |
<[email protected]>

your
| > only
well
| > for
group..

<[email protected]>
| > me
and
| > the
100%
| > OK
| > doenst
| > speakers
| > the
20
| > days
| > repair
| > experiencing
problem.

| > <[email protected]>

Service
| > and
| > several

| > speaker
| > also
| > insulation

will
| > do
| > Service

| > <[email protected]>

| > model?
| > itself
14
| > days.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=90243&messageID=1014188

them!

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Jim

A salesperson's word doesn't hold anything, especially if he/she is working
on a commission basis and will get fired unless he/she push the latest
'overstock' items..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

Jim Macklin said:
Yep, doesn't matter where you live, the buyer of a product
probably did not investigate their rights and
responsibilities BEFORE the purchase.
And you're exactly right, Toshiba owes Best Buy, Best Buy
owes the retail buyer. And only what is in writing can be
enforced, a salesman's promise just doesn't hold water.

| Hi Jim
|
| Its been a long while since I bought anything from a
electronics store in
| the states. I`ve been in Japan for the past 10 years.
Still the fact is,
| the OP beleives that Toshiba should replace the notebook
instead of
| repairing it. If he bought it directly from Toshiba, then
they would be
| responsible. But since he bought it from a retailer,
Toshiba`s obligation
| to that notebook is repairs only, not a full replacement.
Its the retailers
| responsibility to replace it. Almost like retail version
of the OS versus
| OEM.
|
| Jeff

in message
| | > BestBuy has a published return policy that varies by
| > category, they will refund or exchange some things at 30
| > days, no questions asked. Their policy on laptops is 14
| > days...
| > Policy for Computers, Monitors, Printers, Notebook
| > Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras and Radar
Detectors:
| > Return items with a valid receipt, the original package
and
| > all package contents within 14 days for a refund or
| > exchange. A 15% restocking fee will be charged on
returns
| > and exchanges of any opened notebook computer,
camcorder,
| > digital camera or radar detector, unless defective.
| > Note the last part "unless defective. You can return
| > defective items. Have you ever wondered about the
| > "refurbished" computers sold Tiger Direct or even HP and
| > Dell on their web sites? These are returned items that
| > cannot be resold as new. If you buy a computer and take
the
| > unopened box out the door and walk back in two minutes
| > exchange or get a refund the unopened box cannot be
legally
| > returned to the shelf as "new" but must be described as
| > previously sold, the price break can be zero or
substantial.
| > But the item will carry whatever warranty the seller
lists.

| > Most state laws establish legal requirements for
defective
| > products. Uniform Commercial Code applies in the USA.
| >

| > --
| >

| > The typical user buys a new item, unpacks it and throws
all
| > the boxes, papers and CD sleeves away (judging by the
| > questions asked about installing software) so refunds,
| > exchanges and returns become harder to do.

| > |
| > | The OP also has to realise, Toshiba is not responsible
in
| > replacing his
| > | notebook, they are only required to repair it. The
place
| > he bought the
| > | Notebook is responsible for replacing it.
Unfortunately,
| > he purchased it at
| > | a place with a very short return policy. He just need
| > take it to a
| > | Toshiba repair center and let the warranty do its job.
| > have been told
| > | Toshiba has one of the best repair services, I
fortunately
| > haven`t had need
| > | of their services.
| > |
| > | Jeff
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
Other
| > use
such
| > as
are
still
| > kill.
age,
| > and
and

new
stages of
needs
after

rights;
overcome.

wrote
| > in
| > | > |
| > here..
have
| > gotten
| > works or
| > posting
| > | > |
answered..
| > if
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > wrote

| > wrote
| > opinions?
| > | > | > |
<[email protected]>

your
| > only
well
| > for
group..

<[email protected]>
| > me
and
| > the
100%
| > OK
| > doenst
| > speakers
| > the
20
| > days
| > repair
| > experiencing
problem.

| > <[email protected]>

Service
| > and
| > several

| > speaker
| > also
| > insulation

will
| > do
| > Service

| > <[email protected]>

| > model?
| > itself
14
| > days.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=90243&messageID=1014188

them!

Jim Macklin

Even written contracts may have problems, but as long as the
company continues to be in business and if you have the
money to sue, you might get repairs, replacement or even a
refund. But a salesperson at most retail stores is usually
ignorant of the product and the commercial contract laws.
Some may even be crooks, but most are just ignorant and more
concerned with making the sale.

message | Jim

| A salesperson's word doesn't hold anything, especially if
he/she is working
| on a commission basis and will get fired unless he/she
push the latest
| 'overstock' items..
|
| --
| Mike Hall
| MVP - Windows Shell/user

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Jim

You must be a 'Staples' visitor too.. I always take a small pack of nuts in
with me.. if you see a salesperson approach, just throw a couple of nuts
behind them to keep them occupied while you browse.. :)

I had the same problem so I understand how you feel. obviously they are not
in our situation...though they seem to know a lot about it ;-).
don't give up and keep pushing , you deserve a new computer

Jim Macklin

We don't have a Staples here in Wichita, but BestBuy or
CompUSA and of course, the Office Depot/Max stores all
generally have the same under-educated, over-paid tech and
sales staffs.

I have taken a few business law classes, so am perhaps a
little more aware of the pitfalls.

message | Jim

| You must be a 'Staples' visitor too.. I always take a
small pack of nuts in
| with me.. if you see a salesperson approach, just throw a
couple of nuts
| behind them to keep them occupied while you browse.. :)
|
| --
| Mike Hall
| MVP - Windows Shell/user

in message
| | > Even written contracts may have problems, but as long as
the
| > company continues to be in business and if you have the
| > money to sue, you might get repairs, replacement or even
| > refund. But a salesperson at most retail stores is
usually
| > ignorant of the product and the commercial contract
laws.
| > Some may even be crooks, but most are just ignorant and
more
| > concerned with making the sale.
| >

| > --

in
| > message | > | Jim
| > |
| > | A salesperson's word doesn't hold anything, especially
if
| > he/she is working
| > | on a commission basis and will get fired unless he/she
| > push the latest
| > | 'overstock' items..
| > |
| > | --
| > | Mike Hall
| > | MVP - Windows Shell/user

Al Dykes

We don't have a Staples here in Wichita, but BestBuy or
CompUSA and of course, the Office Depot/Max stores all
generally have the same under-educated, over-paid tech and
sales staffs.

I have taken a few business law classes, so am perhaps a
little more aware of the pitfalls.

IMO, in general, laptops should be purchased directly from the
manufacturer with the manufacturer's extended warranty. You get to
choose from the full range of options and models. In a Big Box store
you only see selected preconfigured models. And you don;t have to deal
with that salesman.

Alejandro Penate-Diaz

thanks. did you get a new computer?