To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted . . .

David Robinson

Hi

I am developing webpages. Every time I open an HTM file from my computer
which contains Javascript I get the message "To help protect your security
Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that
could access your computer. Click here for options . . .". It then takes
three clicks of the mouse before I get into my page. How can I stop this??

Ironically if I access the same page from my ISP, rather than from my hard
disk, everything works fine. Why is IE6 trying to protect me from myself?

This seems to be a new problem

David Robinson

Don Varnau

Hi,
Did you recently update to XP SP2? You've encountered the Local Machine
Lockdown feature of SP2:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EKQBG

There are three workarounds for this:
1. Rename each .HTM file to .HTA while it's still on your HD. HTA files
aren't as restricted.
2. Give each page the "Mark of the Web"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/motw.asp
3. Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to run
in files on My Computer ."
You will, of course, be giving up some of the enhanced security of the XP
SP2 update.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EIAA

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

David Robinson

Hi Don

Many thanks, that seems to have fixed it.

What a complicated world we are living in!!

David

David Robinson said:
Hi

I am developing webpages. Every time I open an HTM file from my computer
which contains Javascript I get the message "To help protect your
security
Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that
could access your computer. Click here for options . . .". It then
takes
three clicks of the mouse before I get into my page. How can I stop this??

Ironically if I access the same page from my ISP, rather than from my
hard
disk, everything works fine. Why is IE6 trying to protect me from
myself?

This seems to be a new problem

David Robinson

David Robinson

Hi

My thanks to Don for his quick reply was a little premature!! One of my web
pages has links which load a PDF and a DOC file. How can I apply a "Mark of
the Web" to these files? As things are when I click on a link to either of
these files, nothing happens.

David

Don Varnau

Hi,
PDF and DOC file types are medium risk file types, so at worst, there might
be a prompt asking if you want to download the file.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883260
The Mark of the Web shouldn't have affected the downloading of these files.

Is there a prompt or error message?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

David Robinson

Hi Don

No, I am afraid it really does nothing - ie I click on a link to a PDF and
nothing happens - no prompt or error message or anything.

If I remove the MOTW comment from the page in question, then I can open the
page from my disk (there's no Javascript in this particular page) and the
link to the PDF works, but then of course I cannot call the page itself from
my home page! It seems that if I put an MOTW into my home page (which
contains scripting), then I must also put an MOTW into every subsidiary page
that it calls, whether these subsidiary pages contain scripts or not. Is
this what was intended?

David

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Did you recently update to XP SP2? You've encountered the Local Machine
Lockdown feature of SP2:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EKQBG

There are three workarounds for this:
1. Rename each .HTM file to .HTA while it's still on your HD. HTA files
aren't as restricted.
2. Give each page the "Mark of the Web"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/motw.asp
3. Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to run
in files on My Computer ."
You will, of course, be giving up some of the enhanced security of the XP
SP2 update.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EIAA

oops!!

Don check your date (are you running Vista?).

Zee

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Sorry, I lost track of this thread. I don't know why the MOTW changes the
way these files load (or don't.) I suspect that once the HTM pages were on
server, not on your HD, that the links would work.

You might try renaming the HTM files to HTA when working on them. You
won't
then need the MOTW.

If you have PDF and DOC files set to open in Adobe Reader and Word, will
they load? For DOC it's Folder Options> File Types> DOC> Advanced> uncheck
"Browse in same window." For PDF it's in Adobe Reader at Edit>
Preferences>
Internet> uncheck "Display PDF in

Don
[MS MVP- IE] browser."