timeoout - connect to device failed after some succesful connects

jwei

i am working with vs2008 and a windows ce device under windows xp (activesync
4.5)

after some time (1-2 weeks of development) i cant connect to the device
anymore:
first hit of F5 : 'timeoout - connect to device failed'; the next time i hit
F5 i get error, that 'cannot access the file because it is being used by
another process'

also a reboot of the device doesnt work for a succesful deployment (same
errors as above)

on antoher pc the deployment works fine - should i reinstall vs2008 (i
already reinstalled activesync 4.5) ?

its possible to increase the deployment-timeout ?

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

That sounds like you've gotten Visual Studio into a state where there are
several copies of the debugger running (and only the first can open the EXE,
so the subsequent ones fail). Exit VS2008 and reboot the PC and try again.
Same result?

Paul T.

jwei

yes same result

Paul G. Tobey said:
That sounds like you've gotten Visual Studio into a state where there are
several copies of the debugger running (and only the first can open the EXE,
so the subsequent ones fail). Exit VS2008 and reboot the PC and try again.
Same result?

Paul T.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Hmmm. Nothing else comes to mind. You might, before taking a day to
reinstall VS2008, try uninstalling the target device's SDK and reinstalling
that. If that doesn't work, a complete clean-out of VS2008 and all of the
SDKs and a reinstall is probably the most-likely to fix the problem, although
it's quite painful.

Paul T.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

And I suppose that you're logged in as a member of the administrator group,
that you've tried turrning off all of the virus, malware, etc. software that
might interfere with you?

Paul T.

jwei

yes i tried to turn off all the software supposed - next step is reinstalling
vs2008 ;(

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Too bad. I feel bad for you. Good luck with the reinstall. Let us know,
whatever happens...

Paul T.

jwei

i had time to reinstall vs2008 - no luck, same error ;(

activesync works fine (usb)

but the first try to deploy from vsstudio fails (and it seems, that shuts
down the tcp stack on the device too, since i have a command window open that
pings the device during deploy -> after the broken deploy i cant ping the
device anymore)

any suggestions or i have to format my hdd and do a new system install ?

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <paultobey _at_ earthlink _dot_ net> wrote in message
Hmmm. Nothing else comes to mind. You might, before taking a day to
reinstall VS2008, try uninstalling the target device's SDK and
reinstalling
that. If that doesn't work, a complete clean-out of VS2008 and all of the
SDKs and a reinstall is probably the most-likely to fix the problem,
although
it's quite painful.

Paul T.

: