time sync

R. Wing

I have Windows XP Pro on an Acer laptop. For some reason the clock
occasionally jumps ahead a day. It also loses a few minutes each week. I
have it set to automatically update but it doesn't seem to be doing it
now. I've tried doing an internet time synchronization and I keep
getting a message telling me an error occurred while Windows was
synchronizing. I've tried both servers at different times of days. I've
tried for the past couple days. I have never had problems in the past.
I've checked Firewall settings and even disabled them.
I see 2 possible problems. 1) Why does the clock jump ahead a day on
occasion. 2)Why can't I synchronize my clock through the internet now?

Help would be apprecoated.
Thanks,
R. Wing

R. Wing

R. Wing said:
I have Windows XP Pro on an Acer laptop. For some reason the clock
occasionally jumps ahead a day. It also loses a few minutes each week. I
have it set to automatically update but it doesn't seem to be doing it
now. I've tried doing an internet time synchronization and I keep
getting a message telling me an error occurred while Windows was
synchronizing. I've tried both servers at different times of days. I've
tried for the past couple days. I have never had problems in the past.
I've checked Firewall settings and even disabled them.
I see 2 possible problems. 1) Why does the clock jump ahead a day on
occasion. 2)Why can't I synchronize my clock through the internet now?

Help would be apprecoated.
Thanks,
R. Wing
Quick update. I have finally updated the time using a different ntp
host. Apparently, nist and windows servers aren't working. I still don't
have any idea why I jump ahead a day.
BTW, I know the correct spelling for appreciated but sometimes don't
proofread very well. :)
Thanks

James Silverton

Brian wrote on Mon, 2 Apr 2007 22:28:34 -0500:

BA> I've been using "time-a.nist.gov" for some time without
BA> problems ever since the ms was broken by what I believe to
BA> be caused by one of MS's Critical Updates.

So that's what happened and MS is responsible...bums! I just
tried a sychronization and time-a.nist.gov worked smoothly and
rapidly whereas time.nist.gov gave the "An error occurred......"
message again. I wonder if anyone can say what is the difference
in the two servers? You can certainly ping time.nist.gov without
difficulty.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

James Silverton

James wrote to Brian A. on Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:28:49 -0400:

BA>> I've been using "time-a.nist.gov" for some time without
BA>> problems ever since the ms was broken by what I believe to
BA>> be caused by one of MS's Critical Updates.

JS> So that's what happened and MS is responsible...bums! I
JS> just tried a sychronization and time-a.nist.gov worked
JS> smoothly and rapidly whereas time.nist.gov gave the "An
JS> error occurred......" message again. I wonder if anyone can
JS> say what is the difference in the two servers? You can
JS> certainly ping time.nist.gov without difficulty.

I just remembered something else. Does anyone know how to set
the time at which Windows will try to synchronize. Doing a
manual synch at that time is clumsy especially since I never
seem to remember that I need to do it :)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Lynn Quinlan

James wrote to Brian A. on Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:28:49 -0400:

BA>> I've been using "time-a.nist.gov" for some time without
BA>> problems ever since the ms was broken by what I believe to
BA>> be caused by one of MS's Critical Updates.

JS> So that's what happened and MS is responsible...bums! I
JS> just tried a sychronization and time-a.nist.gov worked
JS> smoothly and rapidly whereas time.nist.gov gave the "An
JS> error occurred......" message again. I wonder if anyone can
JS> say what is the difference in the two servers? You can
JS> certainly ping time.nist.gov without difficulty.

I just remembered something else. Does anyone know how to set
the time at which Windows will try to synchronize. Doing a
manual synch at that time is clumsy especially since I never
seem to remember that I need to do it :)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not
Hi,

I have a similar problem. Having just downloaded a list of Windows Updates
I discovered that Windows wouldn't allow me to proceed with post-SP2 updates
unless I first disabled the automatic synchronisation in Date/Time/Internet.
Any ideas on what has caused this? Does it perhaps have anything to do with
the fact that the time changed occurred earlier this year and some systems
are confused? I noticed this the other night where I work, i.e., the clocks
were not synchronised at 2 am but some reverted to normal at 3 am (but not
all of them).

Ideas please on how I can synchronise my system again? Another fix perhaps
in the works?

Thanks!