tight pc build

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Muckshifter,
Do CPU/cooler kits have thermal contact paste or gasket supplied? Never fitted a CPU.
Cheers,
peahouse05:)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if its a retail processor, meaning it comes with an AMD cooler then yes the cooler will have some thermal paste or a pad on it

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All,
Have MB, RAM, CPU, PSU and OEM XP on the way. I want to use my newi-sh 40GB HDD for the build. Is there likely to be a problem with the drivers already on the HDD when I clean install XP?
Thanks in advance,
peahouse05;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Hi All,
Have MB, RAM, CPU, PSU and OEM XP on the way. I want to use my newi-sh 40GB HDD for the build. Is there likely to be a problem with the drivers already on the HDD when I clean install XP?
Thanks in advance,
peahouse05;)
There will be no problem if you do a "clean" install ... it will wipe everything.

It is always recommended you do a clean install with a new MB. :thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello All,
New build is working on the bench. Asrock K8NF4G motherboard, Sempron 3400 CPU, Crucial 1GB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD from old PC, Ebuyer 500W PSU. XP installed really quickly - Suse 10 next.
Was not going to use a case but cheap PSU is very loud, so have ordered a midi-tower which supports micro-ATX, without PSU.
PC feels as fast as daughter's Toshiba laptop P4 2.8GHz, 1mB RAM!
Only one problem so far - CD plug to MB can fit socket both ways around and no labelling on MB socket. Socket has 'one way' fixing but the plug from CD ROM is plain. Can I try it both ways or could this cause a problem?
Cheers,
peahouse05:wave:

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Hello All,

Only one problem so far - CD plug to MB can fit socket both ways around and no labelling on MB socket. Socket has 'one way' fixing but the plug from CD ROM is plain. Can I try it both ways or could this cause a problem?
Cheers,
peahouse05:wave:
Do you mean the "ribbon cable" if so, no it will not damage anything ... it just won't work.

The ribbon cable has a red line on one edge, that should go to pin one on the MB & CD drive ... pin one is right next to where the power connects.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_Cable80.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Attachment

Attachments

• cdromdrive.gif
    cdromdrive.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 144

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello Muckshifter,
It's the thin cd lead with a four-pin plug.
Thanks'
peahouse05:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Hello Muckshifter,
It's the thin cd lead with a four-pin plug.
Thanks'
peahouse05:thumb:
HuH! What 'thin' CD lead ... how old is this CD drive again?

You have a power lead, a ribbon cable and sometimes a two wire audio lead ... you got me on the other (for now)?

EDIT:

Doh! ... its an audio cable (lead), no, it won't matter which way round that goes, but you may hear left hedphone on the right.

In XP it ain't needed, XP uses Digital through the ribbon cable ... however, Linux (Suse) will use it on some audio programs and digital on others.

:D

Ask a Question