Thumbs?

Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

What is the 'thumbs.db' file? Why, when I try to back up my web by dragging
files to my second hard drive or onto a CD, do I get a "Confirm Stream Loss"
error message saying "File has extra info attached to it that mgiht be lost
if you continue to copy. The contents of the file will not be affected.
Information that might be lost includes: encrytable:$DATA

Using Front Page 2000.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

Steve Easton

To place your web on a CD and maintain
the integrity of the web, you need to publish
it to a folder and then burn the folder to the CD.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Steve Easton

Thank you for the thank you.
;-)

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

You're welcome for the thank you! :)

It's amazing how easy things are when you know how. My web is now backed up
twice - on my other hard drive and CD both.

I've really been getting sloppy about keeping backups and I know that's NOT
a good thing to do.

--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator
Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

Stefan B Rusynko

The 'thumbs.db' file is created when you view your web folders in Windows explorer in Thumbnail view
- delete them, as they don't belong in your FP web and may cause you publishing problems
- don't view your FP webs in Windows Explorer or turn off that feature in Windows Explorer

--

| What is the 'thumbs.db' file? Why, when I try to back up my web by dragging
| files to my second hard drive or onto a CD, do I get a "Confirm Stream Loss"
| error message saying "File has extra info attached to it that mgiht be lost
| if you continue to copy. The contents of the file will not be affected.
| Information that might be lost includes: encrytable:$DATA
|
| Using Front Page 2000.
| --
| Donna in Idaho!
| Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator
| Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
| The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
|
| Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

Can you explain a little more about what you mean about not viewing in
Windows Explorer and turning off that feature? I'm confused.

TIA . . . . .

--

Stefan B Rusynko said:
The 'thumbs.db' file is created when you view your web folders in Windows explorer in Thumbnail view
- delete them, as they don't belong in your FP web and may cause you publishing problems
- don't view your FP webs in Windows Explorer or turn off that feature in Windows Explorer

--

"Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)" <[email protected]>

Randy Birch

When browsing folders using windows explorer, and you hit a folder
containing images, windows may build a mini-database in that folder called
thumbs.db containing the thumb-sized images windows uses to show you each
picture. What Stefan is suggesting is :

a) check for thumbs.db files in your frontpage folders, and delete them if
present. To do this you must go to tools/options in explorer and uncheck the
'hide system files' option. Use detail view (view menu) to examine the
folders, otherwise windows may prevent access to the file when it's in use

b) never browse your web folders under \inetpub with windows explorer, least
the thumbs file be recreated. If you must use explorer in these folders be
aware of the possibility windows may recreate the file (meaning you have to
delete it again), or go to explorer's tools/options and check 'do not cache
thumbnails' to prevent the creation of the thumbs.db file.

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

wrote in message : Can you explain a little more about what you mean about not viewing in
: Windows Explorer and turning off that feature? I'm confused.
:
: TIA . . . . .
:
: --
: Donna in Idaho!
: Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator
: Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
: The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
:
: Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply
:
:
: : > The 'thumbs.db' file is created when you view your web folders in
Windows
: explorer in Thumbnail view
: > - delete them, as they don't belong in your FP web and may cause you
: publishing problems
: > - don't view your FP webs in Windows Explorer or turn off that feature
in
: Windows Explorer
: >
: > --
: >
: > _____________________________________________
: > SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
: > "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
: > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
: > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
: > _____________________________________________
: >
: >
: wrote in message : > | What is the 'thumbs.db' file? Why, when I try to back up my web by
: dragging
: > | files to my second hard drive or onto a CD, do I get a "Confirm Stream
: Loss"
: > | error message saying "File has extra info attached to it that mgiht be
: lost
: > | if you continue to copy. The contents of the file will not be
affected.
: > | Information that might be lost includes: encrytable:$DATA
: > |
: > | Using Front Page 2000.
: > | --
:

Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

Thank you.

I certainly appreciate the assistance and explanation.

--

Randy Birch said:
[...]

Stefan
My cure for the thumbs.db. I deleted all thumbs.db files from the site and then marked the thumbs.db in my web as "do no
publish". Works.

dargill at SX840

Randy Birch wrote: "....or go to explorer's tools/options and check 'do not
cache
thumbnails' to prevent the creation of the thumbs.db file."

In Windows Explorer - Tools, I get (win2K) Folders Options, nothing in there
about not cacheing thumbnails. Maybe just in XP?

Randy Birch said:
[...]

Thomas A. Rowe

XP only.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)