Thumbnail view in Windows Explorer

Abraham

This is in Win2K SP4. In WinExplorer, when I request
thumbnail view of jpg files I get the boxes, but they
never get replaced with the actual thumbnail images.
This worked fine up until last week. At that time I had
an odd problem.

I had inadvertently installed Adobe Acrobat 6.0 *without*
uninstalling version 5. For reasons beyond my ken, the
TEMP directory under my profile in Documents and Settings
was filled with 32K files all named "ACRxxxx" where xxxx
was simply an incrementing hex value. Programs began
telling me I had run out of disk space (I had about 75 GB
free). Eventually, one of them told me it could not
write to my temp directory and I found the problem. It
is not easy to delete 32K files. Disk Cleanup would
choke - had to do it from the command prompt with a batch
file.

I have searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base for this
thumbnail view problem but have found nothing
applicable. There is an article which describes getting
a page fault when attempting to open a file viewed as a
thumbnail, but that is not my issue. When I double click
one of these empty thumbnail boxes, they open just fine
in the associated application. I have tried associating
jpg's with Photoshop, Corel, MSIE 6, QT and Corel
PhotoPaint but those actions have had no effect on the
thumbnail preview.

Someone suggested uninstalling and reinstalling Windows
PhotoEditor, but I do not believe I have ever had it on
this machine - it is not listed in Add/Remove Progs.

If someone has a solution, could you please e-mail it to
the address listed. I will be on travel and I am not
certain I will be able to get back to this newsgroup.

Abe Lewis

Jerold Schulman

See tip 8119 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

[...]

Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman

"Lewis Abraham (Abe) CONT PBFL" wanted me to post this.

To: 'Jerold Schulman ' <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Thumbnail view in Windows Explorer
From: "Lewis Abraham (Abe) CONT PBFL" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 17:21:24 -0400

That worked. I am in Norway and am unable to get on the forum. Could you post
a note that it is solved? If you do, I'll bring you some salmon.

Abe