This 64-bit business.....

Reaction score
Hi, i recently ordered a new Alienware Pc with a +4000Mhz AMD 64 bit processor. I ordered this due to th results on TOM's HARDWARE showing it to be just behind the FX-55 which is more expensive. However it says its 4000MHz but then also it says 2400Mhz. I am guessing its something to do with the 64 bit. Anyone fancy explaining it to me???? Thanx

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
AMD do there processors abit different to Intel. AMD call there processors 2800+, 3000+ etc etc because there performance is about the same as an Intel Pentium 2800Mhz, 3000Mhz etc etc processor, but AMD's clock speeds are much lower than 2800Mhz and 3000Mhz, this is due to the way the chip is made.

So if you see an AMD 2800+ chip, its clock speed will only be around 2100Mhz but it will have virtually the same performance as an Intel Pentium 4 2800Mhz chip.

As for this 64 bit business, thats the new technology comming out/already out. Games will be much more pleasing to the eye, everything will be faster and anything 32-bit will look obsolete :p.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
All computer processors are based on binary math because of the transistors that comprise the semiconductors inside the chips. To put things in very simple terms, a bit is a single 1 or 0 either stored or processed by a transistor. All processors are referred to by their bit processing ability. For approximately the last 10 years or so, 32-bit computing has been used since the introduction of Intel's 386 platform. So what does the bit count mean?

This bit rating of the processor determines the largest numerical number that processor can handle. The largest number that can be processed in a single clock cycle will be equivalent to 2 to the power of the bit rating. Thus, a 32-bit processor can handle a number up to 2^32 or roughly 4.3 billion. Any number greater than this will require more than one clock cycle to process. A 64-bit processor on the other hand can handle a number of a 2^64 or roughly 18.4 quintillion (18,400,000,000,000,000,000). This means that a 64-bit processor would be able to more efficiently handle large number mathematics.

One of the other items directly affected by the bit rating of the processor is the amount of memory that the system can support and access. Let's take a look at the current 32-bit platforms of today. Currently 32-bit processors and operating system can support a total of 4 gigabytes of memory in the computer. Of the 4 gigabytes of memory, the operating systems can only allocate 2 gigabytes of memory to a given application.

Looking at the Athlon 64, AMD included support for 40-bits of memory registers rather than 64-bits. Even with this cost cutting measure, the Athlon 64 is able to support a total system memory of approximately 136GB of RAM. :eek: This is well beyond what the memory market can even supply to computers currently. In addition to this, a 64-bit operating system can also allocate an individual 4GB block of memory for each application.

Now for most consumers, this won't make much of a difference because most home systems don't even come with 1GB of memory, but for high-end users that do CAD/CAM or scientific research, this can make a huge difference. It also is very important for server systems running large applications such as databases.

:D

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
All computer processors are based on binary math because of the transistors that comprise the semiconductors inside the chips. To put things in very simple terms, a bit is a single 1 or 0 either stored or processed by a transistor. All processors are referred to by their bit processing ability. For approximately the last 10 years or so, 32-bit computing has been used since the introduction of Intel's 386 platform. So what does the bit count mean?

This bit rating of the processor determines the largest numerical number that processor can handle. The largest number that can be processed in a single clock cycle will be equivalent to 2 to the power of the bit rating. Thus, a 32-bit processor can handle a number up to 2^32 or roughly 4.3 billion. Any number greater than this will require more than one clock cycle to process. A 64-bit processor on the other hand can handle a number of a 2^64 or roughly 18.4 quintillion (18,400,000,000,000,000,000). This means that a 64-bit processor would be able to more efficiently handle large number mathematics.

One of the other items directly affected by the bit rating of the processor is the amount of memory that the system can support and access. Let's take a look at the current 32-bit platforms of today. Currently 32-bit processors and operating system can support a total of 4 gigabytes of memory in the computer. Of the 4 gigabytes of memory, the operating systems can only allocate 2 gigabytes of memory to a given application.

Looking at the Athlon 64, AMD included support for 40-bits of memory registers rather than 64-bits. Even with this cost cutting measure, the Athlon 64 is able to support a total system memory of approximately 136GB of RAM. :eek: This is well beyond what the memory market can even supply to computers currently. In addition to this, a 64-bit operating system can also allocate an individual 4GB block of memory for each application.

Now for most consumers, this won't make much of a difference because most home systems don't even come with 1GB of memory, but for high-end users that do CAD/CAM or scientific research, this can make a huge difference. It also is very important for server systems running large applications such as databases.

:D

...er...yeh...I was going to say that...especially the bit with the long numbers in it;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Ohh man Mucks, now my head hurts....
i think its a bit ridiculous that the 64-bit can support 136GB of Ram!!!! thats just silly Crazy!!!

Ask a Question