Windows XP The weirds thing i ever saw..

Reaction score
Helllo all,

I'm a System Administrator at a company and yesterday i was handing a computer with very strange symptoms.
It started when a guy called me told me he can't open Outlook.exe (0xc0000006 error) and then i started getting more errors from the computer..
Now i can't go into drive C from my computer(My computer>C:) every time i click on the drive icon it shuts down Explorer.exe i can only access the drive if i use the run application.
i keep getting Image Mastering API failures when i re-run Explore.exe
i Tried to remove office from the computer with the original disk and it shuts down the removal process too.

I did a virus scan, everything is normal.
I need help on this one..

Computer: some kind of Dell, 4 years old.
Antivirus: NOD32 , business edition

Reaction score
I would recommend running a scan using Malwarebytes (updated) to see if it detects anything. The second thing which comes to my mind might be the disc playing up here so a disc (and RAM maybe...) diagnostic would be my second shot. It would be good to know the context if anything has been changed recently. IMAPI refers to CD/DVD burning. I'm wondering how the pc behaves in Safe Mode?

Last edited:
Reaction score
PC runs perfect in Safe Mode.
I will try both options when i'll be back in the office on sunday. Thanks for the advices.

Reaction score
in this case sth which loads later messes things up. Assuming that malware have not been found as well as disc errors I would recommend selective startup to try and find the culprit.

Go to msconfig -> Selective startup -> clear Load System Services / Load Startup Services -> apply and reboot.

After the reboot you will get msconfig again. Move to the Services tab and start re-enabling the services. Select one at a time, apply and restart. Move to the Startup tab afterwards. When you start getting problems the most recently selected option should be responsible.

Reaction score
Thanks again for helping.

I did a full restore 6 months back(the only backup that was on the computer) to fix it since the user needed his pc ASAP, but i will consider it next time something like that pop up.

Reaction score
as they always do... :)
System restore is a very good solution if it does help. I've assumed that you'd exhausted the simplier options ;)

Ask a Question