The Walkie Talkie melting cars?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That's a bit of an unusual one... I guess the architects didn't think about glare, or its effects, during the planning stages. More like a ray-gun than a walkie-talkie now. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yesterday I journeyed to Oxford Street by train and noticed that building, it is very ugly, imo, looks more like a shaver than a walkie-talkie to my eyes. Some buildings in London I like, the Gherkin's ok, Shard too, but others are just plain yuk, like that walkie-talkie thingie.

I suppose they will have to identify the windows causing the problem and perhaps coat them with some anti-glare stuff.

And here's a BBC follow-up feature, it's not a new problem, it seems: Frying Tonight

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ha, unintended consequences of buildings. :D

Another famous one was the TV tower erected by the East Germans in Berlin in 1969. It was to represent East German, and Communist, technology and was the showpiece of East Berlin.

However, when the sun shone a cross was visible on the orb and, of course, the Communists hated anything to do with religion. They tried covering some of the panels but with little success. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cross.JPG
    Cross.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 4,330

Ask a Question