Ok...here goes.

intel 4500 duo 2 core
p5n-e sli
8800gt
500watt psu
IDE Hard drive set to master
DVD drive set to slave

XP operating system

The hard drive is from an old cpu and contains all my stuff...all of it.....i will not format...nononononono.

It woks fine on my old cpu, sweet as.

The problem is when i swap it to the new set up, i wont go passed the blue screen of death.

I zooms past it fast to so i had to use a camera to record it. Its a stop error mentioning that maybe i should run chkdsk. i tried it in dos but i get a bad command or file name excuse. i dont think its corrupt however.

Anyway..the stop error is 0x0000007b (0xba4c7528 0x0000.....etc.

essentially i beleive i dont have the right drivers installed, but how the f do you do that. I assume it can only be done in dos, so how do you do it in dos.

have tried booting from cd, hd, the recorded floppy drive, nothing.
Tried nvidia boot agent but it just gave me a PXE -E61: media test failue. apparantley this is a common problem.

but anyway..all cables connected properley, ive searched, researched and am stumped.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Your old hard disk is setup to work with your old system and contains drivers for that system's motherboard.

Which means it probably won't work with your new setup.

However, it should at least get to XP trying to start up following the POST sequence.

Take a look in the BIOS and see if the hard disk is recognised.

The optical drive is obviously PATA (IDE) as you say you have it set to slave.

Try disconnecting the DVD drive and booting.

Even if you get past the POST sequence it's very unlikely your old HDD will work in your new system. You state you won't format the old HDD, fair enough, just means you've probably got an unusable hard drive then ;)

To retrieve data from your old hard drive you can either buy a new HDD, make it the master, load XP onto it then add your old HDD as a slave, or boot from a live Linux CD and transfer data to an external hard disk or memory stick.

Or you could put the HDD back in your old machine and retrieve the data in the same way.

Good luck.

Reaction score
yeah logical i suppose. i tried disconnecting the dvd but no go. is it not possible to remove the old drivers so i can start up on new mb with existing HD

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The hard drive is from an old cpu and contains all my stuff...all of it.....i will not format...nononononono
:D :lol: :D

You need, as Floppy has stated, a new HD, quite cheap really.

You cannot just plonk an old HD into a new system, especially if it has a different motherboard, XP just throws a fit. Even if you prepared it correctly, I would expect problems.

:user:

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Yes, if you get a new hard drive, install Windows and the driver stuff for the new system, the put the new hard drive into your old system (MAKE SURE YOUR OLD SYSTEM DOES NOT TRY TO BOOT FROM IT!!!!!!) then copy all your precious stuff from the old hard drive to the new one.

Then put the new hard drive back into the new computer. Done.

That wasn't much of an unsolvable challenge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As the others have said you need a new drive..You can pick one up for next to nothing now days, while you're at it, buy yourself a External USB HDD enclosure..Put your old drive in there and retrieve all the data you need..Once you have done that you can reformat the old HDD and you have a nice little Extrnal drive for BAck ups etc...Job done, Problem solved...:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :thumb:

Ask a Question