The spooler Service terminated unexpectedly

ngowi

I am receiving the error messages, posted belows, in the
System Event Log. These errors seem to occur at random
and I have not been able to nail it down to a particular
driver, or print monitor. Whenever the print spooler
stops after the error, I am unable to start the spooler
successfully until I clear the spool directory of its
contents. I have verified the contents of what was being
printed when the spooler crashes and the spooled document
is not always from the same application.

This is occurring on my Windows 2000 Server with SP4
print/file server. I have 13 printer shared out through
this server. The error occurs randomly and does not seem
to be happening when any particular printer or document is
being printed.

I have seen several TechNet articles related to applying
the latest service pack and using the Windows 2000 printer
drivers. This is the case with all but one of my
printers, a Brother HL-1440. I have removed this printer
and its driver and the problem still occurs randomly.

Event ID: 7031
The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has
done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will
be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Event ID: 2510
The server service was unable to map error code 1722.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as this has
gotten to be a rather annoying problem.

Thanks,
Shadrack Ngowi

sassy

Why don't you just the the set spooler to restart
automatically after 1 minute on the services property -
Recovery tab if don't know what causing it. Event log
doesn't give any info on last job printed?

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]>
Subject: The spooler Service terminated unexpectedly
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:02:58 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

--

Shadrack,

When the Print Spooler service terminates like that it should add an entry to the Dr Watson log and generate a User dump
file, assuming Dr Watson is still the system's default debugger and it is setup to generate the User dump file. The log and
if need be the dump can be used to try and determine why the Print Spooler stopped. The most common causes are
printer drivers and custom port monitors. You state you removed the Brother printer and driver but is it still loading a
custom port monitor? To find out check HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.