the remote computer has ended the connection

I'm facing a problem, cannot connect to my xp machine using remote desktop, i
always get : the remote computer has ended the connection, looked on many
site, they adviced to change in the registry DISABLEDFS = 0 i did it and
still no luck, please help.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Maher said:
I'm facing a problem, cannot connect to my xp machine using remote desktop, i
always get : the remote computer has ended the connection, looked on many
site, they adviced to change in the registry DISABLEDFS = 0 i did it and
still no luck, please help.

You need to provide more details, .e.g.
- Can you establish a Remote Desktop session for a short time?
- Are the two machines on the same internal network?
- What firewall software do you run?
- Have you adjusted your firewall settings for Remote Desktop operation?
- What operating system does the host machine run?

No cannot establish at all a remote connection
Yes both machine on the internal network, with or without windows firewall
Host : XP Pro SP2

Pegasus \(MVP\)

You have to enable Remote Desktop on the host and specify
the users who are authorised to use Remote Desktop.

As a very basic test you can also do the following. It's supposed to
clear the screen and give you a steady cursor in the top left-hand
corner:
- Click Start / Run / cmd {OK}
- Type this command:
telnet xxx 3389

where xxx is the NetBIOS name or the IP address of your
Remote Desktop host.

Yes all what you mentionned is being done already, did the telnet and the
result you mentionned.
It's not the first time i do this installation and settings.
Users are allowed, ports are opened

What is the status on this??????

Maher said:
Yes all what you mentionned is being done already, did the telnet and the
result you mentionned.
It's not the first time i do this installation and settings.
Users are allowed, ports are opened

Pegasus \(MVP\)

I have set up dozens of RDP connections but have never
come across anything like this, hence I can offer no
further advice. It could be due to some non-Windows
program you have on your machine, some exotic setting
in your registry or some virus interaction - who knows?
If I was in your position then I would set up a few other
machines for RDP operation in order to get a feel for this
tool.

If you look over the net, there are many users who have faced the same
problem, no solution yet from microsoft, it a know problem

Pegasus \(MVP\)

If you believe that it is a bug within Windows, rather than
something that you may have installed inadvertently, then
you should ring the Microsoft Helpdesk in your country
and ask them to assist you. They will. I have done it
myself. If the problem is due to a Windows bug then the
call is free. If it is due to something you did then there will
be a moderate fixed charge. In other words, the solution
is as close as your nearest telephone.

Michel Merlin

« you should ring the Microsoft Helpdesk in your country
and ask them to assist you. They will »

Most readers won't dare to post what they have learnt to know
and think on this issue through a decade of personal experience.
They prefer to get (from other users) the little useful info
they can...

Now here's what I would suggest Maher to try:

Google "Remote Assistance Windows XP Professional"
http://www.google.com/search?q=Remote+Assistance+Windows+XP+Professional

How to use remote assistance in Windows XP (best of all)
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxprmass.html

Using Remote Assistance to Get Help When You Need It (best of
Microsoft)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

Paris, Tue 4 Apr 2006 15:30:55 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----

Michel Merlin said:
« you should ring the Microsoft Helpdesk in your country
and ask them to assist you. They will »

Most readers won't dare to post what they have learnt to know
and think on this issue through a decade of personal experience.
They prefer to get (from other users) the little useful info
they can...

I'm intrigued. I speak from personal experience, having rung
Microsoft with a problem and paying the fee (because the
problem was caused at our end).

You claim to speak for "most readers", without any substantiation
whatsoever. Not very convincing. It's my guess that you have
never had the courage to ring MS with what you perceive to
be a bug, for fear of having to pay the fee when proven wrong.