The REAL cost of Vista = $21.100

vista terminal ator

Vista OS = $350
New computer that is fast enough to run this bloated monster = $1500
Cost of time lost trying to make your old hardware work, searching for
drivers = $200
New printer, scanner, webcam etc because nothing is compatible with vista=
$500
Cost of tech that you call to reinstall vista for you after you make a mess
out of vista by trying to load drivers that it doesnt like= $150
Cost of books and training CDs you get in order to try to understand WTF
Microsoft did with this frikin OS = $50
Your wife divorces you because you spend more time on Vista than her, Cost
of Divorce = $ 10.000
Medical bills for yourself by getting bad eyesight from the horrible fonts
and colors on the vista screen = $2000
Medical bills for other pains and anxiety attacks due to problems with vista
= $2000
Cost of new screen because out of frustration with vista software
incompatibity you clobber it with a hammer = $350
Purchace of new upgraded software that is compatible with Vista = $500
Cost of time wasted due to the reduction of productivity, due to slugginess
slowness of Vista (compared to XP), annually $3000
Time spent of the vista newsgroup trying to get help from idiots like Frank,
Bill Yanair, and Jupiter Jones = $100

Cost of tech to finally format Vista and install XP back, $150
and a New copy of windows XP of course $250

Total Cost of Vista = $21.100

It is ironic that MS claims that Windows is Cheaper than LINUX!!!

See here http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5072973.html

Perhaps, but vista is NOT windows.... its a disaster!!!!

vista terminal ator

More propaganda

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2120636/windows-cheaper-linux-microsoft

Microsoft has dismissed claims that Linux is more cost-effective for
businesses, arguing that Windows is cheaper over its total lifecycle.

When asked by Gartner about Microsoft's intensifying battle against the open
source operating system, European president Jean-Phillipe Courtois claimed
that Linux is in fact more expensive to run than Windows.

Arguments that Linux is free, and therefore a good alternative for
governments and organisations on a tight budget, are incorrect, he said.

Courtois claimed that Microsoft has been tracking the total cost of
ownership (TCO) in 12 organisations across a range of business sectors, and
that in 95 per cent of cases the "TCO was better on the Windows platform".

Licensing costs account for just five per cent of the total cost of an
operating system, he said, and those plumping for Microsoft have an easier
life in terms of application integration both internally and with external
business partners.

But Courtois was challenged by Peter Sondergaard, Gartner's president of
research in Europe.

He argued that the perception among chief information officers is that Linux
and open source software is more cost-effective than Windows and Microsoft's
Office applications.

"I do expect that some of your clients are looking for a response on
licensing or more flexibility in the packaging," he said.

Courtois replied: "As soon as you start digging down you go beyond
licensing. It's not that we are perfect with licensing; we need to make it
simpler. But it's about the end-to-end environment."

He claimed that, with such a rich diversity of software applications and
hardware devices now on the market, companies can achieve tighter
integration by using Windows.

However, there is growing interest in Linux in the public sector. Last
month, West Yorkshire police took delivery of Linux desktops as part of a
trial for the operating system for English and Welsh forces.

And the European Commission handed open source advocate Netproject a
?250,000 (£160,000) contract to conduct a feasibility study into running the
operating system in government departments.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

This entire post is pure fiction and in jest.
"Your wife divorces you because you spend more time on Vista than
her..."
If that happens, Windows Vista, or any other outside thing is not the
cause.
A bad relationship was there to begin with an Windows Vista is not
responsible.
However some always want to find blame for their own shortcomings and
Windows Vista has been a common excuse for many failures.

As for the new computer, not necessary for many.
Windows Vista installed and works fine on my older laptop and Desktop.
Other than additional memory, the newest component between the 2 is a
two year old video card.
No Aero in the laptop, but other than that, all is well.

Charlie Tame

vista said:
[...]

B-b-b-b-but Linux is a no hope OS and no competition at all, why did MS
even bother to study this?

And why put in the bit that only mentions the cost of developing certain
apps? Certain apps?

Not wishing to state the obvious but doesn't developer experience have
ant bearing on this?

Spanky deMonkey

If you price Windows and price Lexus, you will find Windows Cheaper every
time.

Sumer Yamaner

iletisinde þunu yazdý said:
[...]

I think you should invest in a Mac because with a Mac system nothing can go
wrong. People producing Mac's assume the users IQ to be around 70's.
It seems that Vista (and even XP) is a bit complicated for you.
Just buy a Mac and stop whining in MS forums so that people in need of help
can get their answers easier.
$21.100 and $ 23.000 wouldn't make a significant difference.

Jon

Alias said:
Ain't windows something that is made out of glass, breaks easily and needs
constant cleaning?

Yep, and bluetooth is something you visit the dentist for.

Paul Randall

David said:
What sort of currency is expressed to the nearest thousanths?

In the USA, we have something called the decimal point that looks remarkably
like a period and we use the comma to groups numbers by threes. In other
places of the world, they a comma like our decimal point (would that be
called a decimal comma?) and use a period to group numbers by three.

-Paul Randall

dennis@home

So now you are going to save $20k when is the party?

Spanky deMonkey

I guess being an Ubuntu NUT, you would have to ask that question !

Maybe you don't get out much

Alias

Mike said:
But in the thread title you said it's $21.10. Which is it?

Mike

In most of the world, $21.000 is twenty one thousand dollars. Twenty one
dollars and ten cents would be $21,10. What you call one billion, most
people call a thousand million.

Mike

[QUOTE="Alias said:
But in the thread title you said it's $21.10. Which is it?

Mike

In most of the world, $21.000 is twenty one thousand dollars. Twenty one
dollars and ten cents would be $21,10. What you call one billion, most
people call a thousand million.[/QUOTE]

It's not my fault he can't count. He probably added it up on Linux.

Mike

Spanky deMonkey

Mike said:
[QUOTE="Alias said:
Vista OS = $350

But in the thread title you said it's $21.10. Which is it?

Mike

In most of the world, $21.000 is twenty one thousand dollars. Twenty one
dollars and ten cents would be $21,10. What you call one billion, most
people call a thousand million.

It's not my fault he can't count. He probably added it up on Linux.[/QUOTE]

and he had to do it two or three times. With that Open Source software, you
probably have to check your results against a calculator :)

Jume

its not usual for me to answer this kind of post but...

costs of vista: a real case
-------------------------

vista os = $140 (vista ultimate)

new computer needed to run it fast enough = no needed, a 5 years old and
will be used still for a while

cost of time lost trying to make your old hardware work = no needed, all
worked

new printer, scanner, webcam etc = no needed, all worked (epson inkjet, hp
laser, pretty old primax scanner)

cost of tech that you call to reinstall vista = no needed, only 1 install
still

cost of books and training cds = no needed, comfortable enough (im better
than typical user though?)

your wife divorces you = no wife, cant test, but did not lost
anything-anyone as of now

medical bills for eyesight = no needed, my eyesight is still the same

other medical bills = no needed, im pretty fine

new screen because frustration = no needed, and whoever gets close to my
sony 23" with a hammer will not life enough to touch it

purchase of new upgraded sofware = no needed, i have in fact 1 game that
does not work, a 1995 directx 7 one, my other 16 works flawlessly (even some
from msdos), im not a big gamer though, the programs i use to work, all of
them are running fine

tech support to format and install xp = no needed, vista offers more useful
things to me than xp, at least until some of them are released under live
(e.g. photogallery)

time spent on the vista newsgroup = in fact i used to spent more time
reading in in the beta stages, since the posts were INTERESTING and USEFUL,
and not loaded with PROPAGANDA and MORONS like right now, as of today i jump
dozens of posts without even reading them, not mention dozen of people
blocked, as you will be right after this post, you know, a newsgroup like
this is intended to help, as you stated... thing that obviously you are not
even trying to do, thus you will be blocked, sorry!

total cost of vista = $140
total cost of YOUR vista = $21.100

it seems you are a incredibly very bad buyer after all

and one last thing, dont mind answering, as i wont be able to read the post