The most expensive Chartwell LS3/5a speakers bought on Ebay!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Flops, what do you have to say?:p

How much? ;)

btw, it's good to be passionate about things, be it Hi-Fi, wrist watches, computers, whatever.

It gives one a purpose shall we say?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
How much? ;)

btw, it's good to be passionate about things, be it Hi-Fi, wrist watches, computers, whatever.

It gives one a purpose shall we say?

£160 :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
btw, the other amplifiers that were popular with the Rogers speakers at that time, apart from Quad, were the higher end Pioneer models. They were actually quite good then. Huge, silver things.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes Pioneer at that time was perhaps well regarded and so was Luxman. You will also recall that Rogers E-40 was made especially for the LS3/5a and is still being used by many enthusiasts of the speaker.

I very well remember the silver amps from the 70's I was a teenager back then. I recall some family friends back then using Altec Lansing with Sansui Amps, probably the most dynamic system I ever heard, the speakers were as big as a sofa and having SPL of way over a 100 dB :eek:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the Rogers 11 Ohm LS3/5a's that I bought :D

Attachments

• DSCN0421.jpg
    DSCN0421.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 2,227

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Quad - I can understand your passion for Hi-Fi, although I can't boast anything like your set-up, I do get a great deal of enjoyment out of my Rega Planar2 deck, Pioneer A-400 amp and ProAc Tablette II Speakers.

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Adywebb,

You have a very balanced system I must say, especially the speakers are great. I think you also are into it otherwise you would be boasting about Bose :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I definately wouldn't EVER boast about having Bose!:p

I suppose I'm not really a true Hi-Fi buff, but some years ago when I decided to upgrade from a music centre to a seperates system, I listened to a mates true Hi-Fi setup and was blown away - I had never realised music could sound that good!

The amp is the weakspot I suppose - but in its time and for the money, I think its pretty good.

One day when I get some cash together I'll upgrade again, but to be honest it does everything I want it to.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Adywebb,

You are correct in your assumption that the amp is the weakest link, I wanted to point it out but decided not to in my post earlier,. despite of the fact, that the amp was a killer when it was inroduced and everyone was ranting and raving about it. I have heard it and know it to be a fact that it is really a very good one for the price. :)

Your system particularly the speakers are capable of very good sound and I believe a better amp will show you what your speakers as well as your Rega Planar 2 are capable of. There is no hurry, you can do it at your own pace when you have cash to spare.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks Quad, when I eventually get the cash I hope you will point me in the right direction for the amp;)

Just out of interest-what amp at the moment do you think would drive the ProAcs best?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Well if you need me you know where to find me :D

As for the amp to go with the Proacs, Audio Analogue Puccini as far as my own tastes go, but it is entirely dependant on what kind of sound you are looking for :) If you can get the AA Puccini second hand and have the cash just do not let it go, you may regret it otherwise. I have heard the amp right out of the box brand new and it was absolutely amazing, my friend has it and he also loves it. I had advised him to go for it when he was looking for his EPI speakers.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
My friend has the Puccini SE with remote, but yes this is a great amp at a very good price. Currently the highest bid is £120 but the seller is new and has so far no feedback. Since I do not buy anything from ebay I cannot guide you there. However if you feel comfortable dealing with the fellow you may proceed.

I think this amp is a very good buy at upto 180 and excellent if you can get it around 160-170. Do keep an eye on this sale and if you can spare the cash put your bid in the end say 3-5 minutes before the close provided the price is to your liking

Just for your information my friend got his model at just above US$750 from Singapore about 2 years back.

Let me know what you are thinking.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I see theres a SE model MK2r on eBay in Germany currently at 445 euros / £300 with 5 days to go - I take it that is a more expensive jobby? - don't worry I'm not going to bid on it!

Is there much difference acoustically between the standard and SE, and is the remote worth having?

I think I can afford up to 180, so I'm going to keep my eye on it.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The SE version is something like 50 watts and has a beefed up power supply, definately a better sounding amp. I also remember that the SE model did not have a power switch on the front panel but had a very unusual idea incorporated in the volume control itself, when fully turned counter clock wise and left in that position it would put the amp in standby mode. I had never seen or read about this kind of feature on any amp before.

What I suggest is you do a bit of research on the web and get as much info about the models in question. The price of the one with remote is just about right but any higher,it would not be a great deal I suppose, say upto £325 is max I would bid for. The remote is absolutely gorgeous, it is brushed stainless steel and matches the front panel, really something out of the ordinary (not cheap plastic one).

I think a review is available on the net and I had read it long time back done by someone whom I trust, lets see if I can find it again. If I do I will post it here for your reference.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Thanks Quad, I appreciate your efforts:thumb:

You are more than wecome :)

While you were reading my post I decided to look for the review and yes I managed to find the one I had read, at the same time I also found out that the same guy had reviewed the 40 watt Puccini as well earlier (which I must have seen back then but did not remember) so now you can read both the reviews and see what you fancy.

My personal advice is to go for this amp second hand at a good price irrespective of where you buy it from. You will fall in love with the amp and never look back.

Puccini SE Remote at TNT

Puccini at TNT

:)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I must say that Puccinni amp sounds wonderfull Quad, I particularly like the thought of turning it on 15 minutes before using it so as to warm it up, sounds just like my old Valve Bremi's, (Aaahh those were the days)...;)

One little tip for Ady is go to your maximum of say £180 even if its only £120 and put your bid in with just 20 seconds to go and that way you have less chance of being outbidded, unless someone has already gone to a higher maximum on an earlier bid you have every chance of leaving with that Amp..Good Luck..:p

Ask a Question