The MJW PC & WCG

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
RapidEight said:
Just curious, as running a GUI will dampen the performance of BOINC.
Please, enlighten me as to how?

When I do look via Boincmgr it used 1k of ram, and I do check at least once a day for any problems in returning a result ... gotten a bit para-annoyed in that. ;)

Reaction score
I just noticed it on the servers i use, if i have a GUI running, then the jobs take longer by around 30-40minutes, now you can say this is a coincidence, but i have disabled the GUI multiple times and the jobs finish quicker when this has happened.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Disable the GUI :confused:

err, it ain't 'enabled' unless I command it ... we are talking Linux here, ain't we? or are you using them old fashioned Windows thingies? ;)

user.gif

Reaction score
Nope, we are talking about Linux, and you can command it to start on boot or not, normally all servers are enabled with GUI for setup purposes then it's disabled, because i have a KVM direct to the servers.

I just noticed WU's finish quicker if the GUI is disabled on boot than when its enabled.

Anywho...

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well, it ain't no server and I don't need any fancy GUI to see what Bonkit is doing ... me is getting pretty good with a konsole ;)

However, you made me think, there is a new "search" program called Beagle, great little 'thingie' for finding anything on your drive, but it is a little on the hungry side for my liking so I had it turned off ... well I just deleted/uninstalled it all, and freed up 20% ram. What a little bugger.

We'll see what that effect has. :thumb:

Ask a Question