The laptop - an update

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi all

I am not in the pub, I have been working on this for the last 3 hours!!!

This is the situation:

I have reinstalled Windows XP, all the drivers, Office, Norton, and installed MS Anispy and Adaware.

I hve thoroughly scanned the laptop and it is CLEAN!!! I have updated Norton and run live update etc.... so all that's up to date as is Adaware and MS Antispy.

I have installed the Tscali connection and it's stable and connecting to the internet fine. Email can be accessed via the Tiscali site.

What I am struggling with is this:

I cannot get Outlook to work. It asks about a profile and the only choice is MS Exchange which I have accepted. Then I get a message about encountering an error and it closes on me!

Can anyone help me get the Outlook sorted as everything else seems absolutely fine??.

I have worked hard on this and am very pleased with my endeavours!!!

Could we try and fix this tonight cos I really want to get shut of it!!!!

Pretty please and thanks for reading and helping me!

Gabs x

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats on getting all that done, you are 95% there!

Have you added any e-mail accounts at all via the Tools > E-Mail accounts menu?

I'm not sure what the Tiscali settings are, but they should have the correct format in their help pages. Server will be something like mail.tiscali.com and then the normal username and password.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
No Ian

That's the bit I am strugglling with and TBH the Tiscali help pages don't match what's on screen. I know it's something to do with the settings but I just cannot get this to work.

I have set the email a/c up with Tiscali fine and that is working (checked via Tiscali site/my emails) but it's getting Outlook to marry up with it.

Other than that I think all's OK.

I am a bit tired TBH so if anyone can help with this last bit I would be forever indebted!!

PS I do most certainly deserve a drink after this adventure although I am quite pleased with myself!!

Thanks

Gabs x

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the accounts are

pop.tiscali.co.uk - incoming

smtp.tiscali.co.uk - outgoing

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
OK, I've printed out the guide to Outlook, thank you for that.

The problem is I can't check the settings because I am told 'Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close blah blah' and I cannot get any further than that.

Any further thoughts??

Gabriella x

PS Thank you very much!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
gabriella said:
The problem is I can't check the settings because I am told 'Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close blah blah' and I cannot get any further than that.

If you restart does it still do that? I get that very occasionally, and I'm not sure why.

Reaction score
Apparently there are a lot of email clients servers down at the moment mine is.
dont now why though?:(

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Sorry Ian

Tried that a couple of times and still it comes up with the same 'we have encountered a problem' message.

I am getting v frustrated!! So close and yet so far!!

Thanks again

Gabs x

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if you run widows update are there any for it ? and is it the newest version ?

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
I should add that I have checked that the internet properties via control panel are ok - i.e email =ms outlook and contact list is ms outlook too.

Gabs x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Me_2001

No error code just the usual windows 'an error has been encountered' etc....

What I have now done is to remove ms office as outlook express was on the recovery cd. I have configured outlook express and it works fine with emails.

What I now want to do is get office back on and make outlook the default email client

It's really foxing me as the rest of the laptop is working well.

Kind regards

Gabs x

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you re-install office it may be able to automatically import all of the settings for you, hopefully!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
when i installed office it imported all of the settings over so you should be ok

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
ok guys

Thanks for the suggestions. I am just putting spyware blaster and ccleaner on the laptop and i think that tomorrow (as i am off work now till monday) i will put office back on.

excuse the lack of capital letters - this sunflower queen is dead tired!!

many thanks for your kindness, suggestions, patience and support. i have learned so much in this last 12 months with this site and i genuinely cannot thank you enough!!

Gabs x

Ask a Question