Laptop to TV connection

Reaction score
Hello Again,

My Medion MD2837 Notebook has a CD/DVD player in it. I want to connect it to a Toshiba TV to view DVDs and also holiday snaps which I have stored on the laptop. I bought a Cable Kit but there are no instructions other than plugging the cables into the relevant sockets. When I did this, I got the sound, but sadly no picture. Do I need to download some software so the laptop can 'talk' to the TV? If so can you advise where I can get this from?

Thanks

Reaction score
The Belkin kit contained an S-video cable and 'Y' adapter audio cables. I used the 'Y' adapter audio cables. I'm not familiar with the jargon but I guess that's a composite lead, right?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Do you have your TV set switched to an AV channel? There's usually two of them.

Reaction score
This is getting a bit technical for me as I don't quite understand what AV channel means however the TV is connected to a satellite channel. It also has a video plugged into it and a digibox. There are two scart sockets at the back of the TV and I had to pull one out to connect the cable.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Your TV - presumably analogue/terrestrial as you have a digibox connected - will have lots of channels for tuning TV stations into, somewhere between 40 & 200 probably. Just before Channel 01 there will be two AV (audio visual) channels, which probably correspond to the two Scart sockets.

It may also be worth looking into your graphic drivers' control panel to see if a TV Out signal has to be enabled. I don't know, just guessing, I've never actually connected a computer to a TV.

Reaction score
Is the Laptop enabled for Dual output?

Usually if you press a function key and a button at the top with TV and monitor symbols on it that will switch the output signal from the Laptop.

Have a look at you manual as i'm sure each laptops has the switch keys on different formats to others. FOr example my switch key is on F6. Using Function and F6 I can change outputs

Ask a Question