Silly Fool
Reaction score
IOS 6 is ready for download for those of you with iDevices

Lets hope it's a hassle free update :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good luck, the world and their wife will be doing the same! :D

I'm off out in a mo, so will do the other halfs 4 tomorrow. My 4S is jailbroken so wont be updating that just yet. Mind you, roll on Friday. :cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Updated my Phone at just after 6PM last night, seemed to run much more smoothly than I thought! Took about 30 mins to download + install, but Siri has improved hugely and comes to the iPad. I'm not sure what I think of the new mapping application, so I'm going to give it a couple of weeks before installing Google maps again.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah i been reading some bad things about the maps app.....

Google will be releasing a stand alone app like they did with the Youtube one soon though. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I think my 3GS is going back to IOS 5.1.1 later today.
WiFi works on and off. Facebook crashes. Camera is stuck on Video and screen freezes on and off. Other half says she will rather wait till Apple release an update for IOS 6. So two less jobs for me today. Somebody pass a beer please :cheers:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Apple Maps service loses train stations, shrinks tower and creates new airport

Which way now? Within minutes of the launch of the iOS6 operating system, which comes preloaded with Apple Maps, users were reporting problems. Photograph: Joseph Reid/Alamy Apple is facing its first significant failure in years with a major backlash against its brand new mapping service, introduced this week for iPhone users.
Within minutes of the launch of the iOS6 operating system, which comes preloaded with Apple Maps, users were reporting that Paddington station had vanished, London had been relocated to Ontario, the Sears Tower in Chicago had shrunk, and Helsinki railway station had been turned into a park.
Dublin, meanwhile, has been gifted a previously undiscovered airport. The Republic's justice minister, Alan Shatter, in whose constituency the imaginary airport has been located, has already made arrangements for Apple to be informed of the error.
Airfield, a 35-acre greenfield site with working farm, formal gardens and cafe, has been designated as an airport by the Apple database, which has labelled it with the aeroplane icon it uses for genuine aircraft landing spots.
In a statement Shatter said: "Clearly the designation is not only wrong but is dangerously misleading in that it could result in a pilot, unfamiliar with the area, in an emergency situation and without other available information, attempting a landing."
The minister helpfully suggests alternative icons which could reduce the risk of an aircraft landing unexpectedly in his constituency.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/sep/20/apple-maps-ios6-station-tower

Oh dear...... :(

My 4S will remain jailbroken on iOS 5.1.1 for now then.....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Inaccuracies and misplaced towns and cities in Apple's new map software have provoked anger from users.

In June Apple announced it would stop using Google Maps in favour of its own system, created using data from navigation firm TomTom and others.

Apple is yet to comment on the complaints about the software, which comes already installed on the new iPhone.

TomTom said it provided only data and was not responsible for how it worked.

The software is packaged with iOS6, the latest version of Apple's operating system, which runs on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

Previously, the system had an app running mapping software from Google.

But users are now forced to use Apple's new maps once they upgrade or buy the latest iPhone - which goes on sale on Friday.

There is not currently a Google Maps app available in Apple's App Store, although Google's system is still accessible via the phone's web browser.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19659736

:cry::mad:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If you’re missing Google Maps after updating to iOS 6 over the past 24-hours, good news may be just around the corner. As previously rumored, The Guardian suggests this afternoon that the folks at Google have built a separate Maps app for iOS 6. The report further adds that the company it will “appear in time”, to which well-known developer Steve Stroughton-Smith seemingly confirmed with a “Yep.”.

The same sources say that Google is preparing a Google Maps app for iOS6, which will appear in time. No official statement has been made and there will inevitably be questions over whether Apple will approve it in the App Store. (Apple might not, on the basis that it “competes with existing functionality”, but would invite a further backlash if it did.)

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/20/googl...approval-it-is-solely-up-to-apple-to-approve/

Can you imagine if Apple didn't approve it!? This whole maps thing has me worried now..... :/

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
:lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• 480431_10151037638957397_1091758212_n.jpg
    480431_10151037638957397_1091758212_n.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 300

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Haha, yeah i've seen that on about 4 different sites now! Bet Apple are loving that! lmao.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I went to Westfield shoping center today. Apple store was almost empty compared to Phones4U and O2. Spoke to the staff in Phones4U and they said they had sold more Galaxy S3 than iPhones today :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
First impressions of iOS6 are very good. Maps is a bit poo, but everything else i really like, the new look to the music player, status bar etc. A good upgrade IMO. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Now that I've used it some more, iOS6 seems like a decent upgrade... except for the new mapping application (as the image at the top of this page suggests!).

Tried searching for a bar we were meeting people at and it ended up giving us directions to a train station somewhere in France. Tried to use the GPS to navigate to a B&Q and that failed too. Will be installing the Google maps app as soon as it is released!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Indeed, i really like iOS6. Bar the maps app. a lot of differences are actually quite subtle or even 'under the hood' so to speak.

Not sure how long we will have to wait for the Google maps app though...

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/25/google-maps-app-up-to-apple/

You can get around it though, by going to www.maps.google.co.uk in Safari and adding that was a web link to your home screen, that way you get google maps, just not via an app. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey, I'm in the club now :D I installed iOS6 yesterday on my (as yet unlocked) iPhone 4.

Is it better than iOS5? Dunno, ain't got a clue, never used an iPhone before so iOS6 is all I know :lol:

Ask a Question