The Humble Indie Bundle #3

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
An unashamed plug for Indie games developers.

Humble Indie Bundle 3 is the fourth Humble Bundle. Launched on July 26, the bundle includes the following games: Crayon Physics Deluxe (Kloonigames), Cogs (Lazy 8 Studios), VVVVVV (Terry Cavanagh), Hammerfight (Kranx Productions), and And Yet It Moves (Broken Rules). These games were originally released in 2009 with the exception of VVVVVV which was released last year, and originally they cost together about $50. The Indie Bundle lets you decide what to pay, even as little as a single cent. The size of the downloads range from 25MB to 103MB with all the games having fairly modest hardware requirements. Puzzle games are well represented in this bundle though most tastes are catered for.

Even after only a few hours after the bundle was launched, payments totalling in excess of $100,000 had been received. As you can see from the screenshot above, one of the interesting things to note is that Linux users are willing to pay significantly more than their Windows and OS X counterparts. At the time of writing, the disparity between the average purchase price for Windows and Linux users has widened even further. This is not an isolated occurrence. We also witnessed the same phenomena with the earlier bundles. We hope this trend encourages other indie developers to release Linux versions of their games. A steady release of profitable indie games may encourage larger developers to release their games for Linux too. Sales of bundle #3 are already in excess of $0.5 million.

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/2011072615025735/HumbleIndieBundle3.html

Are the games any good. Blimey give us a chance I've only just read the advert. The Russian game sounds like it might be worth a try though.

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good deal! I bought this and I've had a play - VVVVVV is great fun if you like the old-style spectrum games, it's a bit of a blast from the past. All of the games are good little puzzles and the crayon physics game will probably be the most popular of them all.

My brain must be getting a bit rusty, as I'm stuck on VVVVVV already :lol:.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm still reading up on the games.As you mentioned VVVVVV I took a look at the games home page and found this thread of great interest in the forums.

http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=50.0

Linux version

« on: January 14, 2010, 01:49:28 PM »
Is there an ETA on the Linux version?

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:56:21 PM »
I'm working on the linux version today. Hopefully it won't be much longer!
veridian.gif
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »
Terry didnt you want to make a C++ rewrite of the game?
veridian.gif

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 09:19:09 PM »
Sure, but with Nexus City and Self Destruct 2 and [other secret project] I don't see myself having time for that.

(Mind you, if it meant being in the next HiB, I could probably shuffle things around a bit.
veridian.gif
)

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 01:30:57 AM »
Quote from: staz on July 26, 2011, 06:20:41 PM

The Humble Bundle promotion says VVVVVV works on linux now, is this true? Already own it but I'm going to buy the bundle if it mean I can now play it natively on Linux
Yep, it works on Linux, natively! Getting it to work properly on Linux was one of the big motivations behind the port
smiley.gif

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »
Thanks for the informations
wink.gif

The above is the start, some parts of the middle, and, end of discourse between Terry (the developer of the game) and some penguin fans. The effort and attitude of both parties involved in the discussion demonstrate many of the finer points of the open source movement in my opinion. Supporting folk like these can only be of benefit to all mankind.:)

I might change me mind if the games are awful though. :lol:

Ask a Question