The CD Key your entered is invalid.

I am installing OEM Windows Xp Pro Sp1 on a new hard drive. Original drive
died. I am the tech who installed xp originally about 2 years ago. Customter
brought computer in with all original software. COA Label is on the case. The
disk is in great shape. Customer never opened the software packet I created
at the time of sale. I put the disk in, format, starts to install, get the cd
key, enter the number, get invalid message. I have checked and double checked
each letter and number. I have had someone else type it in. I have checked
the Knowlege base for solutions and nothing helped. I called Microsoft Tech
support and had a new cd key created and that did not work. They also verifed
the cd key I have is valid. Unfortunately I do not want to pay $245 for
support to answer this question. Does anyone have any solutions to why the
cd key is invalid.

Again - I have checked and rechecked the letters and numbers.

chel

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Try a different CD.
Verify the CD is the correct CD for the key on the case.

Ron Martell

chel said:
[...]

Is the old drive completely dead?

If there is any chance of getting it to boot into Windows XP again
then you can verify the product key used to install XP originally by
using any of several utilities, such as

Windows XP Product Key finder:
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/keyfinder.exe

Magic Jelly Bean key finder:

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron, the old drive is completely dead. I appreciate your response though. The
links might be useful to me in the future.
Thank you, chel

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Chel,
What is in the setupp.ini in the i386 folder on the cd?
In particular the PID= line.
That will help determine the media type
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hi Darrell, Earlier this morning I got the problem squared away. I shall be
receiving the "Dumb Ass of the Year Award" from my boss. To make a long story
short - The computer has 2 cd drives. When I tried to install windows from
one of our disks using the customers cd key, it did not work. Did I remove
the cd before shutting down the machine to wait for the customers software???
No, I did not. So every time I booted the machine it was seeing that disk in
the top drive and not the correct disk in the bottom drive. So no matter how
many different windows disks I tried it was not going to work with her cd
key.

I thank all of you for your helpfulness. And I apoligize for wasting your
time.

Chel

From: "=?Utf-8?B?Y2hlbA==?=" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: The CD Key your entered is invalid.
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:58:03 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

Ron, the old drive is completely dead. I appreciate your response though. The
links might be useful to me in the future.
Thank you, chel

JP Breton

Chel..

You are not alone living those situation....

And you did not waste your time.

JP

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Chel,
What is in the setupp.ini in the i386 folder on the cd?
In particular the PID= line.
That will help determine the media type
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
From: "=?Utf-8?B?Y2hlbA==?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:58:03 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

:

[...]

Likewise no problem, glad you got it resolved.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "JP Breton" <[email protected]>
<Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:54:39 -0400
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<Chel..
<
[...]
<>
<> I thank all of you for your helpfulness. And I apoligize for wasting your
<> time.
<>
<> Chel
<>
<> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
<>
<>> Hello Chel,
<>> What is in the setupp.ini in the i386 folder on the cd?
<>> In particular the PID= line.
<>> That will help determine the media type
<>> Thanks,
<>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>>
<>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
<>> rights
<>> --------------------
<>> >Thread-Topic: The CD Key your entered is invalid.
<>> >thread-index: AcVrktVU/Vk5IhycTCu6SKWkvK6TTQ==
<>> >X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 66.212.215.25
<>> >From: "=?Utf-8?B?Y2hlbA==?=" <[email protected]>
<>> >References: <[email protected]>
<>> <[email protected]>
<>> >Subject: Re: The CD Key your entered is invalid.
<>> >Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:58:03 -0700
<>> >Lines: 49
<>> >Message-ID: <[email protected]>
<>> >MIME-Version: 1.0
<>> >Content-Type: text/plain;
<>> > charset="Utf-8"
<>> >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<>> >X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
<>> >Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
<>> >Importance: normal
<>> >Priority: normal
<>> >X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.0
<>> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<>> >NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl 10.40.2.250
<>> >Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl
<>> >Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
<>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment:32149
<>> >X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<>> >
<>> >Ron, the old drive is completely dead. I appreciate your response
<>> >though.
<>> The
<>> >links might be useful to me in the future.
<>> >Thank you, chel
<>> >
<>> >"Ron Martell" wrote:
<>> >
<>> >>
[...]
<>> >> >
<>> >> >Again - I have checked and rechecked the letters and numbers.
<>> >> >
<>> >> >chel
<>> >>
<>> >> Is the old drive completely dead?
<>> >>
<>> >> If there is any chance of getting it to boot into Windows XP again
<>> >> then you can verify the product key used to install XP originally by
<>> >> using any of several utilities, such as
<>> >>
<>> >> Windows XP Product Key finder:
<>> >> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/keyfinder.exe
<>> >>
<>> >> Magic Jelly Bean key finder:
<>> >> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
<>> >>
<>> >> Good luck
<>> >>
<>> >>
<>> >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
<>> >> --
<>> >> Microsoft MVP
<>> >> On-Line Help Computer Service
<>> >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
<>> >>
<>> >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
<>> >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
<>> >>
<>> >
<>>