The Best Offers Spyware

Reaction score
A friend of mine installed a new C-drive for me that is infected with Spyware from "The Best Offers Network"...simply add/remove does not work.

What's worse if ANYONE could please help me is I'm trying to open my PCTools Aanti-spyware.exe program, open my Firefox.exe file, and others, and NONE of my .exe files will open?

Can I fool my PC somehow and open these another way? Thank you in advance?

Troubledstill

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
None open at all? Does Internet Explorer work ok?

Try running Windows in Safe Mode, then running the spyware scanner. I'd suggest downloading a better one, like MS AntiSpyware.

Reaction score
.exe files

Thank you for your reply. Only Internet explorer and Outlook will open because my friend put them on my lower toolbar. I will try your suggestion re-safe mode.

Will running anti-spyware get rid of the "Best Offers" spyware?

Thanx again.

Reaction score
Please read completely through the instructions below and download the files from the links provided. You may want to save or print out these instructions for easier reference.

First, download Ewido Security Suite ( http://www.ewido.net/en/download/ )

Next, download Lavasoft's Ad-Aware ( http://www.lavasoft.de/ ) and the VX2 Cleaner Plug-in ( http://www.lavasoft.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml ). Install Ad-Aware using the default options, then install vx2cleaner_inst.exe, taking all the defaults there as well.

Run Ad-Aware, update to the latest definitions, then click on Add-ons in the lefthand column. Select VX2 Cleaner V2.0 and click Run Tool. Click "OK", then, if something is found, click "Clean" as in the directions given. Click "Close", and exit Ad-Aware.

Reboot your PC and run Ad-Aware again. This time, click on the Start button in Ad-Aware, select "Perform smart system scan" and click Next. Once the scan finishes, click "Next" again. Select all objects found (right click anywhere in the list of found objects and click "Select All Objects"). Click "Next" one more time, then "OK" to confirm the removal.

You will be prompted to set Ad-Aware to run on reboot, click "OK". Exit Ad-Aware and restart your PC once again.

When Ad-Aware starts up, click on "Start", then "Next". Follow the steps above if anything is found, or click "Finish", then exit Ad-Aware.

For a final cleanup, please install and run Ewido.

1.When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".

2.When you run ewido for the first time, you may get a warning "Database could not be found!". Click OK. We will fix this in a moment.

3.From the main ewido screen, click on update in the left menu, then click the Start update button.

4.After the update finishes (the status bar at the bottom will display "Update successful")

5.Click on the Scanner button in the left menu, then click on Complete System Scan. This scan can take quite a while to run.

6.If ewido finds anything, it will pop up a notification. We have been finding some cases of false positives with the new version of Ewido, so we need to step through the fixes one-by-one. If Ewido finds something that you KNOW is legitimate (for example, parts of AVG Antivirus, pcAnywhere and the game "Risk" have been flagged), select "none" as the action. DO NOT check "Perform action with all infections". If you are unsure of an entry, select "none" for the time being. I'll see that in the log you will post later and let you know if ewido needs to be run again.

7.When the scan finishes, click on "Save Report". This will create a text file. Make sure you know where to find this file again.

Good luck & take your time.

Reaction score
Can't open ANYTHING I download

My first problem is my system won't let me open ANY .exe files including anti-spyware programs after I have downloaded them. Is there anyway to get them to open automatically?

Ask a Question