Windows XP The application associated with the selected template could not be started, or the ap

Reaction score
I just installed Office 2003 SP3 and, as a result [I am guessing here] I am getting the message that I have inserted into the title above.
I have tried re-installing Office 2003 from the disc that came with the software pre-installed in Jan '06 on a Compac nx6125 laptop. But this doesn't work. Nor does a system restore to a valid point before I installed SP3.
I fear some unknown but serious corruption, which, alone, I don't have the capacity to repair.
Can anybody make some helpful suggestions pse?
Thanks and apols if this is too naive for words.

brian

Reaction score
When exactly do you get this error message, that is, what are you trying to do when it crops up?

I think you may be right about the corruption, it sounds like a corrupted startup file but without further information it is not possible to help.

Reaction score
follow up to Template not available

Not sure if I have grasped exactly what more info is needed, but here goes...

In Outlook, there is now a huge delay before the system finally comes up with a message that, having clicked on reply, Word is no longer available to me along the lines of the title that I gave to my initial post. The system then tells me that it is substituting its own email editor instead of the 'missing' Word 2003.

If i got to open Word doc, then the following message appears: the program associated with the selected template cannot be started, or the program cannot use the selected template.

Pse don't hesitate to press me for more and I'll do my best to supply. Incidentally, I might just add that Winword.exe shows up within the Wind Task Manager list as a process that is using system resources so I infer that it is non availability of the program rather than absence of the application [viz. Word] per se. But, given my ignorance in this field, it is a naive somewhat intuitive assumption on my part.

T. i. a for any further help

brian

Reaction score
Hi brian

Word template problems usually mean that the global template normal.dot is corrupt. There are full instructions on how to replace it, renaming the old one, in this microsoft article

Ask a Question