Thank you for the music!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If you are reading this post than I am sure the title of this thread attracted you so. Yes, the title is the song by Abba who are in the process of being immortalised inside the new museum being built in their honour. Why? Because they have sold over 400 million records worldwide, have the the most successful musical ever credited to them - Mamma Mia!

Read the story here - Abba

If you are an ABBA fan why not post your favourite song?
:dance:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Much against my better judgement I like Abba a lot. This is not considered a hip thing amongst my peers but what the hell, I like what I like so here's my favourite song.

You will note, history students, that back in 1976 wearing silken pyjamas styled on Karate Gi's onstage was considered quite de rigeur.

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
it just so happened that i rented a dvd on ABBA not long ago : )

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
When ABBA were in their heyday they were often perceived to be a bit naff and no-one I knew admitted to liking them. However, the music was certainly different to anything else going on at the time and I always felt that the musical arrangement on all of their records was exceptional.

Most people I know now admit that they did secretly enjoy the music and it now appears that it is acceptable to like them.

I like many of their tracks and if pushed for a favourite I would go for The Winner Takes It All.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
This is probably my fav as it brings a lot of good memories back! :nod::dance:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I became a fan of ABBA when I first heard their song Waterloo at the Eurovision song contest in 1974 and from then on I was following them with every new release they had. I loved their music then and do so now. I also had the pleasure to attend their movie at the local theatre twice on the same day. GOOSEBUMPS ALL OVER. The movie was more of a musical documentary than anything else and to listen to all those songs on large screen with wonderful sound system in the theatre was an exhilarating experience.

I suddenly realised we have what you call youtube these days and quick search was all I had to do to find the movie. Here is the part 1 in HD and anyone can follow the whole movie as all the rest of the parts are visible on the right side. I am sure if you like their music you will enjoy watching it too. For me it is very nostalgic feeling going back 35 years and watching it again. That was a generation ago but their music is still alive today.

ABBA - THE MOVIE

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
A young relative came to spend a few days with us. They happened to be a huge fan of ABBA, who at that time, had just released a new LP. It was played many, many times during that brief stay, and one of my favourite tracks was this one:
[YouTube]zWbiI93fXmQ[/YouTube]

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quad: My first wife was a big Abba fan which was handy for me cos it gave me an excuse to listen to them at home without any visitors looking at me kinda funny.

We went to the cinema to see that Abba movie on the day it was released, the cinema was sold out and I remember how the sound changed when the first music in the film was played - loud, crystal clear and with deep bass.

I always remember a very brief shot of Annafrid in the film when she's exercising and she has no makeup on and she really does look a bit rough :D She must have given her aproval for the scene to be left in, quite odd or maybe she was just asserting her independence or summat.

My mate Arthur worked for a while as security at all the major London Venues and he used to get me in some gigs for free. Abba at Wembley was one of them, where they wore the purple and white costumes, would have been between '77 and '79, that was quite good.

I can remember some of the security staff in the audience area being a bit heavy-handed, there were kids standing up and clapping, full of enthusiasm, and these bouncer gorillas were pushing them back down in their seats :mad: Made me feel like giving them a slap :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, here we go, it was '79 then. I remember them singing this, they wheeled out all these brats on stage and everybody went 'Aaaaah'. Me? I vomited and threw milk shake at the stage :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Looks like every one of us on this thread has memories associated with ABBA.

Flops: I did not have a wife back then, so could not come up with any excuse not to like ABBA. :D By the way you described well how the sound quality was. I did talk about goosebumps did I not? :dance:

TC: I know exactly what you mean when you say that the album was played again and again, the thing is that ABBA's music back in the days was a refreshing change with melodies too good not to sing along, lyrics anyone could follow and somehow had the uncanny ability to be appealing to every age group. :nod:

Urmas: Your contribution I think was very interesting and adds flavour to their music :D

Nivrip: I have to concur with you on the choice of song it is my favourite too. :)

Darcy: Maybe you now need to check out the Movie on youtube by following the link I provided. ;)

TD: We can always start another thread on that, please be my guest, I will chime in too. We can start with "We've only just began" one of my all time favourite and first vinyl I owned of them bro-sis team. :thumb:

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
Darcy: Maybe you now need to check out the Movie on youtube by following the link I provided ;)
i know, i know, Quad! got so much dumped on my plate recently. all in good time : )

Ask a Question