Terminal Services Manager is greyed out/will not work

G

Grettings All,

I am attempting to stand up Windows 2000 terminal services in our Datacenter to support an access based VB application. We are an NT 4.0 Domain.

I installed Terminal services on a Win 2k server about 5 weeks ago. I am still within my 90 day freebie on licensing, and have not stood up a license server yet.

Here is my problem - the test clients can connect, get a desktop and run the application, but the Terminal Services Manager will no longer work as of about 10 days ago. When I attempt to start the Terminal Services Manager from the Start/Programs/Admin Tools, the window will attempt to open then minimize to the taskbar and remain there. If I call up the Task Manager, the Termianl Services Manager shows up as an active program with the status as "Running". If I do a "switch to" from the Task Manager, the Terminal Services Manager will come up but all buttons are greyed out. I cant find any information as to what has caused this.

Thanks for any help out there -

Jesse Barth

V

Vera Noest [MVP]

Logged in as yourself, go to this registry key:

HKCU\\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server
\TSADMIN

Delete the "Placement" value and exit Regedit.

Now run the Terminal Services Manager and you should be able to
find it.

The problem is that at some point the TSM window position settings
were saved in a high-resolution session; with it running in a low-
resolution session, those values position it off the viewable
screen.

Ask a Question