temporary internet files

hello,

how important are the temporary internet files?
I understand that they can eventually take up too much space causing slower
performance.
Can they be deleted?
If so, how often?

Thank You

Rick Rogers

Hi,

Yes they can be deleted, but it's usually unnecessary. The safe way to do it
is the "delete files" button in Internet Options on the General tab. You can
use the settings button to limit the amount of space they are allowed to
occupy.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Mr C

brunetto wrote :
hello,

how important are the temporary internet files?
I understand that they can eventually take up too much space causing slower
performance.
Can they be deleted?
If so, how often?

Thank You

They're important enough for me to have my browser set to clear them
everytime I close it. I have known cases where NOT clearing the
temporary internet files as caused problems with webpages (anyone who's
ever had to support computers used for learndirect knows what I mean
:-? ). If you're using Internet Explorer click on Tools, Internet
Options, Advanced, scroll waaay down the list and tick the box that
says 'delete temporary internet files when the browser is closed'.

Mr C.

John Barnett MVP

You can limit the amount of space taken up by temporary internet files. Once
that space limit has been filled older temporary internet files will be
removed to allow more space.

Personally i remove temporary internet files every day. Now there is an
option in Internet Options to clear temporary internet files on browser
close down. Currently this doesn't work, so is not much use to anyone.

As Rick says you can delete them using the delete files button in Internet
Options. However, i prefer to use a freeware application called CCleaner
(www.ccleaner.com). This not only clear temporary internet files, but also
history, website you've visited recently (mru's), recycle bin, cookies and a
host of other files including the index.dat files which store information
even after you have deleted the original files. You can clean the system
manually or do as i do set it to clean on login.

You should be aware that if you use online banking facilities any online
banking cookies are likely to be deleted during the clean up process. To
prevent this happenning you just need to tell CCleaner what cookies to keep.
This can be done from the Options>Cookies menu.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

The information in this mail is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
accuracy, reliability or content of this mail. The Author shall not be
liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages
arising out of the use of, or inability to use, information or
opinions expressed in this mail..

Mr C

John Barnett MVP wrote :
[...]

John,

I would like to know where you got the information regarding 'Delete
TIF when browser is closed' not working. I've used this method for
years and the only files you'll find in my TIF folder are cookies
(which I delete manually when needed) and favicons. Do you have a link
or something I can go read please?

Thanks,

Mr C.

John Barnett MVP

Hi Mr C,

Actually it was brought to my attention by a user who visited my website. He
emailed me with all the details, saying that the option had never worked in
an version of IE. Being a little sceptical i decided to try it myself and,
yes, he was right, after deleting all of my temporary internet files using
the delet at browser close option, i rechecked the TIP folder and lo and
behold every TIP was still there. I also tried the same thing with IE 7.0
and, again, at the time of my testing, the TIP files still remained. I
notified Microsoft and, after a short interval, got a reply back to say that
they had passed the problem on to the developers for correction. I have to
admit i haven't tried it since in IE 7.0, so i can'y say whether the problem
has been corrected.

Maybe you happened to be one of the lucky ones where it does work. Microsoft
certainly would refer the problem to the developers if they ahdn't found the
problem existed too.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

The information in this mail is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
accuracy, reliability or content of this mail. The Author shall not be
liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages
arising out of the use of, or inability to use, information or
opinions expressed in this mail..

In his answer to my question regarding the deleting of temporary internet
files, John Barnett MVP cautions that one should be aware that if you use
online banking facilities any online banking cookies are likely to be
deleted during the clean up process. I use an online banking service and I
have deleted the temporary internet files, en masse, at times. I didn't
notice any problems but was I just lucky or what?

Thank You

antioch

Do you mean that they just disappear of their own accord? How do they do
that? When do they do this?
Would really like to know.
Antioch

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
They delete themselves.

Rick Rogers

Hi,

It's not luck. The warning is about deleting cookies, which is important to
those who like to have sites remember their login information. If you delete
the site's cookie during the cleanup, the login info may be lost and the
user will have to manually reenter it. If they are overly reliant on this
remembering process (IE: they don't even remember the login information),
then this may cause them an issue or at least an inconvenience.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

antioch

Good question - I have not encountered any problem with my online banking
over the last 3 years.
I clear TIF's at least daily - well one has to - they will not go on their
own, by some means of magic ;-)
Antioch

antioch

Hello Rick
This is a strange one - I have at least a dozen sites which I access at
least once a day to once a week. I know of two which I have to enter login
details each time I access because they do not offer the 'remember my
.......'
But things become a habit over time - I will make a conscious effort to note
what happens each time I access these sites. You may well be correct and it
is something I no longer notice.
Rgds
Antioch

John Barnett MVP

Brunetto, my comments referred to the use of CCleaner. You simply deleting
the temporary internet files would not remove cookies - this is a seperate
issue. However, CCleaner clean out temporary internet files, cookies, and
history by default so using CCleaner you 'would' loose all cookies, unless
you directed CCleaner to keep them.

--

Someone said that they delete themselves. :)

antioch said:
Good question - I have not encountered any problem with my online banking
over the last 3 years.
I clear TIF's at least daily - well one has to - they will not go on their
own, by some means of magic ;-)
Antioch

Mr C

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. I'll be keeping my eye on that one. I've been
using this method on several 1000 Windows based units over my various
sites for as long as I can remember now. If there's a chance it's not
doing it's job it could cause me some problems.

Thanks,

Mr C.

John Barnett MVP laid this down on his screen :

antioch

Thanks for that bit of info
Antioch

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
When tif exceeds the size specified for it.

Everyone is talking about Deleting the Temporary Files only. It is also
useful not to delete them. If you normally load same web-sites every day then
cleaning these files is not recommanded. The web-pages you already visited
are being store in your TIF and the next time when you open the same
web-site, windows load only the updated things and the rest are loaded from
your TIF, which automatically boost the loading speed.

Hope this information is useful to you.
Let us know!