Temperature controlled fans

m^

Hello.
Where can I disable temperature control function of temperature controlled
fans?
I have a HSF, and 2 case fans, all of them are temperature controlled and
seems running quite slowly. At moment the case temperature 29° and CPU
(Athlon XP 2600+ default) 54° Ambient 23°, I'm not comfortable with the CPU
temperature and want it lower about 45°.

Hank

m^ said:
Hello.
Where can I disable temperature control function of temperature controlled
fans?
I have a HSF, and 2 case fans, all of them are temperature controlled and
seems running quite slowly. At moment the case temperature 29° and CPU
(Athlon XP 2600+ default) 54° Ambient 23°, I'm not comfortable with the CPU
temperature and want it lower about 45°.
Regards,

Short out the thermistor.

Hank

John McGaw

m^ said:
Hello.
Where can I disable temperature control function of temperature controlled
fans?
I have a HSF, and 2 case fans, all of them are temperature controlled and
seems running quite slowly. At moment the case temperature 29° and CPU
(Athlon XP 2600+ default) 54° Ambient 23°, I'm not comfortable with the CPU
temperature and want it lower about 45°.
Regards,

I don't know that I'd worry about those 9 degrees so much as long as
everything stays at/below 60° over the long term. But, have you looked into
your BIOS settings? My most recent system has rather complete settings which
allow me to "dial in" the desired temperature which, in turn, determines how
the fan speed ramps up. This arrangement manages to keep the CPU temperature
within a couple of degrees of the setpoint.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Frank Fussenegger

What motherboard are you using. I am looking for that type of fan
control when I build my next system.

John McGaw

Frank Fussenegger said:
What motherboard are you using. I am looking for that type of fan
control when I build my next system.

"John McGaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Mine is a Shuttle FB65 which is a special MB made to fit in their tiny
X-line case. Having only a single PCI and AGP slot it probably wouldn't be
what a regular "more is better" builder would want but it really does the
job for me (and I still haven't figured out what to put in the PCI slot
since everything else is built in including the wireless). With their heat
pipe cooling it is also as close to silent any system I've been around
recently -- my notebook is far noisier under heavy load when the fan kicks
in.

http://us.shuttle.com/specs2.asp?pro_id=387

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

m^

Thank you for you replies, Hank and John.

My Gigabyte motherboard BIOS has no settings to control fan speed
unfortunately.
I'm now using the standard AMD fan (which has no temperature control I
assume) with Arctic Silver 5, the CPU temperature dropped to 46°.
Thanks again for your replies, John and Hank.
Regards,