telewest cable user - wants to make internet faster using shorter cables

I have Telewest Cable here in the UK as my ISP.

I have heard that changing my cable that connects my cable modem to my PC
can increase the speed, is this true?

I have at the moment a rather long cable that could reach to the other side
of my lounge! but can I use a faster performance cable as told by a friend,
who has only just reset his pc to factory default and then buying a new
cable of the same length but of higher performance, which could answer his
fast connection.

thank you in advance.

jeffrey

Hi,

Changing the cable will not change your connection speed, unless he had a
faulty cable. For standard Cat 5 UTP (the usual cable used to connect to
your network interface card) is rated up to 100 meters before signal
degration starts. From the cable modem to your PC, is probably no longer
than what 5 meters? Things that can increase through put is the type of
NICs your using, is it 10 meg or 100 meg nics. Does your cable modem
support 10 or 100, full duplex (two way communications simultaniously) or
half duplex (sends then receives). If you can do full duplex, that will
increase the through put.

Jeff

Jim Macklin

A shorter cable will have very little effect, after all the
speed of light 300 million meters per second, makes any
cable less than 100 feet almost instantaneous.
Your cable company probably has set a cap (limit) on your
cable head-end up and download speed so one user can't hog
all the available bandwidth.

There are some packet size and buffer settings that can
improve performance if all else is equal. But use of those
accelerators is a primary reason that the cable ISPs have
capped speeds.

<ME1> wrote in message
|I have Telewest Cable here in the UK as my ISP.
|
| I have heard that changing my cable that connects my cable
modem to my PC
| can increase the speed, is this true?
|
| I have at the moment a rather long cable that could reach
to the other side
| of my lounge! but can I use a faster performance cable as
told by a friend,
| who has only just reset his pc to factory default and then
buying a new
| cable of the same length but of higher performance, which
could answer his
| fast connection.
|

| thank you in advance.

Alex Nichol

I have Telewest Cable here in the UK as my ISP.

I have heard that changing my cable that connects my cable modem to my PC
can increase the speed, is this true?

If it is anything like the NTL setup, which uses a Cat 5 cable to the
Ethernet port of the machine, then no, changing the cable will not
improve performance. What speed downloads do you see? My NTL setup is
750 kbits/sec, which in theory is around 90 k *bytes* a second, but very
many file downloads are throttled well below that at the server.

Try the tester at http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/
and see what it reports for you