Team's mailbox contacts don't show in "To" dialogue

G

hi there

I support two contacts folders in Outlook 2003. One is attached to my
Exchange Profile and the other is a part of my team mailbox. Although I can
see the contacts in my team mailbox when I go into the contacts page of
Outlook, when I click the "To" button on an email, or attempt to add members
from it to a distribution list using "Select Members", the team mailbox
doesn't appear in the drop down list entitled "Show Names from the:".
Also, I can't use the Alt+K shortcut to auto-complete from the team contacts
folder.

Things I have done so far:
Created a profile for the team account and checked it is available as an
Outlook address book in it's own mailbox.

I'm stuck - wondering if anyone else can offer some guidance.

Thanks ! Adrian

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

The process of adding another user's Contacts folder to your own address book display is somewhat involved. You will need to be able to create -- at least temporarily -- an Outlook profile that opens another user's mailbox as the primary mailbox. Proceed with these steps while logged in under your own Windows account, not the other user's:

1. Create an Outlook profile that connects directly to the other user's mailbox, not your own. If you are using Outlook 2003, do not select the option to use Cached Exchange mode. Start Outlook with that profile.

2. On the Properties dialog for the other user's Contacts folder, make sure that it's set to display in the Outlook Address Book and give it a display name other than contacts, such as Joe's Contacts.

3. Close Outlook.

4. In Control Panel | Mail, edit the *same profile* (i.e. the one from Step 1) to change the mailbox from the other user's to your own.

5. Still working with the same profile, on the Advanced tab of the Exchange Server service, add the other user's mailbox as a secondary mailbox.

6. Restart Outlook, and you should see the Joe's Contacts in your Outlook Address Book as well as your own Contacts folder.

7. (Optional) If you are using Outlook 2003 or 2007, you can now change the settings for your Exchange account to use Cached Exchange mode.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003

and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
Administrators, Power Users, and Developers

G

hi Sue

I saw previous advice like this in one of your earlier posts, but having
followed it I can safely say it hasn't made a difference. The team contacts
still do not appear in the available address books. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Adrian

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

The procedure works. The logical conclusion is that you didn't follow the steps correctly. Most people make their mistakes on Step 4.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003

and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
Administrators, Power Users, and Developers

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add something to this, as I too struggled with the given solution, but finally got it to work as follows:

1. Create a new Outlook profile that connects directly with the other user's mailbox, not your own, then start Outlook with this profile. If you receive a prompt that Outlook cannot open the folders, you may need to ask the Exchange administrator to grant your Windows user account full access to the other user's mailbox temporarily so that you can complete these steps.
2. Right-click the other user's Contacts folder, choose Properties, then switch to the Outlook Address Book tab. Make sure that the 'Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book box' is checked. Under Name of the address book, change the display name from Contacts (the default) to a name that will distinguish this address list, such as Team's Contacts if you're in your team's mailbox.
3. Close Outlook.
4. In Control Panel > Mail, bring up the properties for the profile that you created in Step 1. In the Microsoft Exchange Server service, change the main mailbox from the other user's to your own. On the Advanced tab of the Exchange Server service, add the other user's mailbox as a secondary mailbox.
5. Restart Outlook, using the same profile as in Steps 1 and 4.
6. Right-click your own Contacts folder, choose Properties, then switch to the Outlook Address Book tab. Make sure that the 'Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book box' is checked.
7. If you needed to change the setting in Step 6 above, restart Outlook again, using the same profile as in Steps 1, 4 and 5.

After you restart Outlook, when you display the Address book, you should see Team's Contacts listed in the Outlook Address Book along with your own Contacts folder.
8. It is probably a good idea to set this new profile as the default profile when starting Outlook.

Hope this helps someone else in the future!

Ask a Question