Team of AI have beaten humans at Dota 2

News Team of AI have beaten humans at Dota 2

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Becky submitted a new article:

Team of AI have beaten humans at Dota 2 - OpenAI Five hopes to take part at The International Dota 2 championships in August

A team of five electronic neural networks are getting so good at playing Dota 2 that they have started beating amateur humans, according to a recent blog post from OpenAI. The bots have learned how to play the game entirely through self-play, and interestingly they work as a team. This was achieved through the implementation of a 'team spirit' parameter which tells the bot how much value to place in individual goals versus team goals. Each...

Read more about this article...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and a Human Team got banned for using a mouse!

The ban was announced on Twitter by game tournament organiser Faceit who said Thunder Predator had an "unfair advantage" when using the mouse. This was because it let the player automate the movement of a character called Meepo so it jumped around the map far faster than if it was under solely human control.

I won't tell ArenaNet I use a mouse in GW2. :lol:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Ah this was because they used a programmable mouse wasn't it? Seems a little harsh to me, but I suppose it makes sense to prevent this kind of thing getting out of hand.

muckshifter

Reaction score
aye, it was a 'programmable mouse' ... so, it's ok to use a 'program', just not a programmable mouse.

I call it, stupid ... all "gaming" mice are programmable, int they?

mouse.PNG

:user:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I think they're taking part more to see whether they can beat really good players, I don't know if they would be eligible to win any money.

It's pretty impressive - these bots started off with totally random play, and have learned their own tactics. I guess we all do that to some extent :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I suppose it's just the same as chess matches between AI and humans. Eventually AI got the upper hand and will now probably never lose it.

I don't know if they would be eligible to win any money.

The prizes would have to be Artificial Money. :p

muckshifter

Reaction score
... hmmm, AI ... should I get an Alsatian dog?

Ask a Question