TC's PC's Innards

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have just taken some pics of the PC's inner workings. Can't seem to find anything obviously loose - but wondered whether anything would be apparent to those of you who are much more familiar with these things than me please? Hope you don't mind taking a look. I can post in a larger format if wanted, but I wasn't too certain how big the pics were allowed to be in the gallery. HERE

Thank you Guys :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yup, it's all there, in one piece ... :lol:

That great big hunk of metal, to the right of the case exhaust fan, is the HSF we have been going on about ... it don't look loose from where I'm sitting ... but the big question still remains, why ain't it cooling correctly.

I take it you still have not heard from the suppliers yet ?

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Mucks, yes, I heard from the supplier earlier this morning - they wrote a confirmation e-mail to say that I could look inside without voiding the warranty. I have looked, Terry has looked, we can't seemingly see anything obvious - other than the pair of yellow and black wires, which end in a white connector-type fitting, which are just dangling. However, there is a whole loom of wiring on the other side which is obviously not meant to go anywhere special at this stage either, so it's probably not "important" in the sense of having any impact on the cooling fan.

It's really interesting in there though...:nod: I can see two empty male sockets on the bottom right (cha fans) but again, I assume them to be for additional fans rather than anything already fitted.

The Zalman feels secure and nothing appears to have any abnormal movement. :rolleyes:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
PS: I forgot to mention that the Technical bods said: "Yes that does seem particularly hot, very hot in fact, idle temps meant to be around 40-50 degrees with peak being a maximum of 56degrees." in their e-mail.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I must comment that when I looked at your pics the HSF did look a little p***ed which I thought was odd at the time...

Although that just might be me...I gotta leave these real Ales alone in the day...:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It is at a slight angle, isn't it?

The first thing I'd do is take it off, clean off old thermal compound, apply new and refit.

But if you don't know what you're doing, or it voids the warranty, let the supplier do that.

The yellow and white cable with the white plug dangling down is probably the fan monitor lead for the power supply. If it's plugged into a motherboard fan header, you'll be able to see the fan speed in any monitoring software you have.

I'm not sure though, so don't do that thing until you've confirmed what the lead is.

If it does come from the PSU and it fits the fan board header, it should be safe to try. It's really not important though.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My zalman cooler did twist a few degrees when i first installed it, once the paste has set its rock solid. I know 775 is a different clip to the AM2's but i have read its normal. On the instructions for my Zalman cooler it says to give it a little twist after installing it to remove any gap/bubbles in the paste before powering on. It never did mine any harm. sits at full load at 38C. :)

I would have liked a front intake fan and those wires out of the way a bit to give the hsf room to 'breath' a little more myself.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Forgot link

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply, we're grateful for your views here :thumb:

You are all correct about the Zalman being a bit skew, that was the first thing we noticed too, however, it is certainly "solid."

Flops - The yellow and white cable is actually yellow and black (I'm sorry, made a boo-boo in my earlier post:blush:) The two black and two yellow thin wires are going into the white "connector" - which dangles. The source of the wires appear to be coming from an area top left of the copper "wotsit" left of the Zalman fan in picture here. They originate from the big loom of wiring on the right of the pic.

I agree, there is a heck of a bundle of wiring in there, a lot of which is going nowhere, as you can see.

Warranty-wise, they say:

"Unlike with most computer manufacturers, we allow you to open your case and install your own components without voiding your warranty providing that:

* You understand that if the actions of the person installing the components cause damage to the computer, your warranty will be void.
* You understand that if the components you install cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void.
* You understand that we will in no way support you installing your own components or with any problems you have relating to the components you have installed.
* You understand that we have over 30 different measures in place to detect if a component has been moved/removed and if you have moved/removed a component, your warranty will be void. You are only entitled to add extra components to your computer.

So in a nutshell, you can look, but don't touch anything ;)

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Is the CPU heatsink definitely connected to the motherboard? i didn't see the white and red wire coming out of the back of it to a motherboard header.

Would you be able to upload a larger hi res picture? Around 1000x something. That way we can zoom in on the pic without it getting too pixelated. If you dont mind. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
While I know, with the right directions, you are more than capable of re-seating the HSF I advise that you return it to the supplier for them to deal with ... it could well be a faulty CPU. :nod:

I know you lot mean well, and could "fix" TC's PC in 10mins, the point here is it should be carried out under warranty, and that means returning the PC to the supplier.

TC, did they give you a returns number, or even any indication that they will need the PC themselves ?

;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Have just posted a bigger pic for you HERE Sorry it took so long - due to my slow connection again :blush:The red and black wire is connected to the Zalman and does connect with the MB.

The Technician who emailed earlier said: "Please check your zalman cooler has not become loose during transit (just tighten the screws at the sides of the fan). It may not be making proper contact with the CPU. If you have further problems still we can replace the fan for you."

Mucks - there is an on-site link for obtaining an RMA - I don't think there would be any problem about sending it back if need be.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just been looking at that pic, Thanks, and yes the hsf is indeed connected. Oh well worth a shot. :)

Looks like its time for a RMA. :(

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well again V_R I really appreciate your views, you too Mucks and all of you who have viewed and commented. :thumb: I was more concerned than anything, that I might be sending back a PC which only needed something to be re-attached, or plugged-in, but looks as if it must be something more than that :nod:

Will go and put it back together now, then probably e-mail the company again later, to see what can be arranged. (Think we shall need a different box too - we have kept the original packaging, but there will be more space in the large box this time, so probably best to try and get one which will be a more snug fit for the tower and its foam packing :nod: )

muckshifter

Reaction score
The Technician who emailed earlier said: "Please check your zalman cooler has not become loose during transit (just tighten the screws at the sides of the fan). It may not be making proper contact with the CPU. If you have further problems still we can replace the fan for you."
Interesting comment, my bold ... screws, what screws ?? ... this an AMD setup not Intel.

Anyway ... sorry if I keep repeating myself, but you need to sent it back and get them to 'fix' it for you. :nod:

Nice pics though. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I was more concerned than anything, that I might be sending back a PC which only needed something to be re-attached, or plugged-in.
That was what i was hoping too. :)

I was wondering about the screws too mucks......:confused:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well believe it or not, but even I (green-tinted when it comes to PC tower "innards") wondered about the comment:

It may not be making proper contact with the CPU

because the Zalman, which the technician was referring to, is an inch or two above the CPU, unlike the stock fan (positioned beneath it.) But maybe I'm missing something? The "screws" are there too, but looking inside (exactly as in the pics) four of them are situated to the rear of the Zalman fins, and would have been fairly awkward to reach, had they been loose.

Anyway, I popped the side on again and switched-on just to ensure all was well - also to clear a couple of passwords, etc. (Fortunately nothing much on there just yet.) The Probe was still fluctuating though - even opening the recycle bin to empty it produced temps of 64C rising rapidly to 70+ so I closed down as quickly as possible.

We will be sending it back of course, just as soon as it can be arranged. It's getting close to the weekend now, so as they don't work weekends, I feel a bit tempted to try to arrange the return for Monday of next week, but I'll see what they say.

Many thanks for all your help guys, hugs all round :D ... just sorry that the crunching has fallen back, but hope to make up for it when the little beastie is up and running again :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Here you go TC ... watch the video ... make sure you click the AMD one, socket AM2.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/view_flash.asp?strFlash=/upload/product/9700NT.swf

Actually, if you click the Intel one, you'll see why we were wondering about the four screws ... Intel have em, AMD don't. :thumb:

user.gif

edit ... forgot the link.
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
So how, pray, did they get the screws into the mounting?

You checked the back of the case for 4 large, screw shaped protrusions? :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for that link Mucks..........I can see exactly what you mean now. But we could both see the four screws (which appear in the Intel demo.) I spent quite a long time looking at the layout, to see how things fitted together (just 'cos I was interested anyway) so....ermm... it's really not right, is it.....?

No PG :lol: no protrusions, but the screws are certainly going into the "back" (which would be the right side panel if you looked at it head on.)

If I'm "getting" this right, it looks as if the fan is spinning but not achieving anything because it's in the wrong place:confused:.

Ask a Question