Silverlight - Microsoft Update Option

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
After reading one of Nivrip's posts regarding updates, I decided to check mine (on Vista) which are set to auto-download. I was surprised to find a couple of "Optional Updates" waiting to be downloaded - two for NVIDIA drivers and one for "Silverlight" (KB 946609)

I have Googled "Silverlight" and can see that it has something to do with "enriching various media experiences".... I think..... but I've not heard of it previously, so wondered whether anyone here has downloaded it - is it useful, or has anyone had any problems as a result of getting it please..? It is not Vista specific, apparently, it can be used by XP and I believe Apple too.

Sorry to fuss, but it would be nice to know the opinion of those of you who know more about this kind of thing than I do. Thank you for reading....... TC :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I downloaded it a couple of months back when the world championship darts were on and used it to stream the live simulcasts through... It was very clear and was a joy to use..

No problems here in recommending it..

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh that's interesting, so it probably is associated with the Media Centre bits and bobs ... thank you CL much appreciated :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't know about Silverlight but I'd be wary of downloading any drivers for hardware from Microsoft.

Always best to download those drivers from the manufacturer's site.

I say this as I've had a couple of unpleasant experiences (read failed applications) when using Microsoft's offering.

By the way, this recent 'upgrade' from MS is really useful isn't it?

Description of the update for Windows Vista
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID
: 940510
Last Review : February 26, 2008
Revision : 2.0
INTRODUCTION
This update enables Windows Vista to detect activation exploits that bypass product activation and that interfere with usual Windows operation. An exploit is a form of software that replaces or modifies authentic Windows components. When exploits are present on a system, it indicates that a software or hardware vendor may have tampered with genuine Windows to enable the sale of counterfeit software. Therefore, the security and the privacy of the computer are put at risk. After this update is installed, you will know if exploits are present on the system.

To obtain this update, visit the following Microsoft Web site, or enable the Automatic Update feature to install the latest updates:
http://www.update.microsoft.com
Note Installing this update does not affect the functionality of your operating system.
MORE INFORMATION
This update for Windows Vista detects exploits that may be present on a system. An exploit bypasses licensing and activation. This behavior allows for counterfeit copies of Windows Vista to run without ever having to be activated. Activation exploits make alterations to key Windows system files. These exploits affect both system stability and security.

When the update is installed, no functionality of your operating system will be affected. If no exploits are detected, the update silently exits. If exploits are detected, you will be provided a link to a Web site that describes how you can remove the exploits. When the exploits are removed, you may be asked to use a valid product key to activate your copy of Windows. If you do not want to remove the exploits, Windows may disable the exploits and then ask you to use a valid product key to activate Windows.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I've always downloaded from MS Update Site, drivers-n-all ... it's pretty certain that when the sound disappears after downloading from MS that a "roll-back" is in order. MS has never been much good at detecting the 'real' on-board sound chip anyway. ;)

As for graphics drivers, I've never had a problem from MS. :p

Silverlight is MS's offering of Flash+ ... you will need it to 'view' some websites. I have had it installed from day one, no problems, quite nice too. :thumb:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I don't know about Silverlight but I'd be wary of downloading any drivers for hardware from Microsoft.

Always best to download those drivers from the manufacturer's site.

Yes... I learnt a lesson about that earlier today...:rolleyes: https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3444660.php and had a bit of a problem as a result (but now sorted.)

Silverlight is getting a "good press" judging from the comments of those of you who use it, so I will probably get it.

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate the info :wave: :D

Ask a Question