TCP/IP

Thomas Poncelet

Hello,

It seems that I have a problem with the TCP/IP.

Fisrt of all, I cannot install any NIC (wireless or ethernet), driver
installation failed.

secondly, Norton Internet Security doesn't start and display an error
message like "TCP/IP not installed"

My computer doesn't work properly until I kill the following process :
svchost.exe LOAL SERVICE. After that, I'm able to click on the
'taskbar' and thus on the START button

I beg your pardon for my elementary english and I hope that you will
be able to help myself to fix this problem.

Thomas Poncelet

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

I have traced several of these problems to improperly configured winsock
LSPs. Run "winmsd" and go to Components/Network/Protocol. Look at the
names in the list, anything with "MSAFD" in it or the "RSVP xxx Service
Provider" should be fine. Anything else is suspect, and uninstalling the
owning program might help.

If that fails or your provider list is empty, you may need to rebuild the
catalog from scratch. The following instructions will rebuild your catalog
for TCP/IP. If you are using any other transports (If you don't know, then
you probably aren't) then you will have to reinstall them as well.

NOTE: You may want to print out these instructions or save them to your
hard disk before starting.

1. Backup and delete the following registry keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

2. Reboot

3. Go to the network connections folder, right click the icon for your
network connection, and select properties.

4. Click install, choose "protocol", and click "add..."

5. Click "Have Disk...", enter "\windows\inf", click OK

6. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click OK

7. When the process in complete, reboot

Thomas Poncelet

Ken Wickes said:
[...]

Hi Ken,

I thank you for your answer.

I have just try your tips, and it resolves a part of my porbs. My
system start properly but and still not able to connect any NIC, and
when I try to install Norton Internet Security, it says that I haven't
IP...

By the way, I haven't any network icon (NIC are not correctly
installed) in the network connections folder, thus I have try to
'install' TCP/IP with \windows\inf\nettcpip.inf file.

Thomas Poncelet

Thomas Poncelet

Ken Wickes said:
[...]

I have just try to add winsock and winsock2 reg key (from a Win XP
Home) to my system and I'ven't tcp/ip problem (it is correctly
installed and I'm able to install Norton Internet security) but I'm
still not able to install NIC's...

By the way, wath is svhost process??? I've to kill it to go to te
start button...

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

Thomas Poncelet said:
"Ken Wickes [MSFT]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

rights.

Hi Ken,

I thank you for your answer.

I have just try your tips, and it resolves a part of my porbs. My
system start properly but and still not able to connect any NIC, and
when I try to install Norton Internet Security, it says that I haven't
IP...

By the way, I haven't any network icon (NIC are not correctly
installed) in the network connections folder, thus I have try to
'install' TCP/IP with \windows\inf\nettcpip.inf file.

Thomas Poncelet

Try and get things working before installing NIS.

For the connections folder....

First make sure that your Network Connections Service and Remote Access
Connection Manager services are running. If they are then compare the LAN
connections in the connections folder with the Network Adapter drivers in
device manager. If there is a Network Adapter driver that doesn't have a
corresponding connection in the connections folder then try reinstalling it.