Taskbar Buttons Have Disappeared

David Hammett

My taskbar does not show any buttons of programs
(minimized, maximized or restored).

When I minimize a task, it looks like it's button
disappears behind the Quick Launch programs.

The only way I can get to the task to maximize or restore
it is by using the Task Manager and double-clicking on it
in the Applications tab.

I have right-clicked on the taskbar and selected
Properties and unchecked and rechecked all the choices
both individually and en masse, but that has not resolved
the problem.

I have right-clicked on the taskbar, selected Toolbars and
done the same to those choices without success.

This problem began after downloading the latest security
patch from MS, but I have several applications (like
Norton Systemworks 2004, WebPosition Gold and QuickBooks
2004) where I download weekly updates.

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

there's a little slider (looks like little dots) you can
adjust next to quicklaunch - slide it around and maybe
your minimized tasks will appear...

there's a little slider (looks like little dots) you can
adjust next to quicklaunch - slide it around and maybe
your minimized tasks will appear...

Ramesh [MVP]

See Tip 240 at Kelly's site:
(Programs Aren't Minimized in the Taskbar)

Taskbar, Notification Area repair Tool: "Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!"

Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
---------------------------------------
What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and It Variants:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp
---------------------------------------

[...]

David

THANKS - but I do not find the slider:

Between my START button and the Quick Launch is nothing
when the Taskbar is locked.

When I unlock the Taskbar, a vertical line appears between
the START button and the Quick Launch, but it does not
allow me to move the Quick Launch.

In both scenarios, the right-hand side of the Quick Launch
has no dots or vertical bar.

Anything else?

THANKS
David

David

I understand.

When the Taskbar is UNLOCKED, I see (from left to right):
START button
A vertical line (which does not allow me to move the Quick
Launch anywhere)
Quick Launch
A l-o-n-g empty gray bar
The hidden icons area
The clock

I am sorry, but no dots.

Any ideas what I need to do to get the dots to appear?

Thanks,
Dave

Ramesh [MVP]

You're welcome.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell
What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and It Variants:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp

PERFECT.

In two minutes Kelly's program did what I have spent HOURS
trying to figure out.

MANY THANKS,
Dave