Task Scheduler Cannot Be Started

Stephen Lo

WinXP Pro SP3 with all hotfixes and updates installed.

I click "Scheduled tasks/Add scheduled task" in control pane, a wizard
window pops up. It changes to an empty (nothing but only in white)
window and not responding. I click the close button at the top-right
corner an error window pops up saying the scheduler is not responding.
Window explorer (not ie) clashs and restarts when i click end the prog.
In this way I cannot run the task scheduler at all. Nothing found useful
on Google search.

Please help, i don't want to reinstall Win. Thank you very much !!

BTW i did not find mstask.exe in windows\system32, is it a problem?

Jose

WinXP Pro SP3 with all hotfixes and updates installed.

I click "Scheduled tasks/Add scheduled task" in control pane, a wizard
  window pops up. It changes to an empty (nothing but only in white)
window and not responding. I click the close button at the top-right
corner an error window pops up saying the scheduler is not responding.
Window explorer (not ie) clashs and restarts when i click end the prog.
In this way I cannot run the task scheduler at all. Nothing found useful
on Google search.

Please help, i don't want to reinstall Win. Thank you very much !!

BTW i did not find mstask.exe in windows\system32, is it a problem?

Search harder!

Have you ever successfully created a scheduled task before?

Here is a MS article that sounds like your problem and has a hotfix
for download and/or a workaround:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841846

I do not have your problem so I can't try it.

It would be interesting to find out if you have the other symptoms
listed (like CPU cycles) and of course, which of these options work
for you - if any.

You might also first try a good scan with Malwarebytes free scanner.
Download, install, update, do a full scan. THen if you still have the
problem, try the MS article.

Peter Foldes

You need to format your hard drive and reinstall windows.

--

Peter

Leythos

And be aware that PCBUTTS is still stalking myself and others in his
Usenet postings, showing that you would be dealing with an unethical and
dangerous person if you followed their advice. The website that he
directs you to has been used to contain filthy pornographic materials
that he has created, do you want to risk that?

Leythos

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
Subject: Re: Task Scheduler Cannot Be Started
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 13:05:21 -0700

And be aware that PCBUTTS is still stalking myself and others in his
Usenet postings, showing that you would be dealing with an unethical and
dangerous person if you followed their advice. The website that he
directs you to has been used to contain filthy pornographic materials
that he has created, do you want to risk that?

The above message is FAKE, while I did post the same content, the above
message is a faked message - the headers prove that I didn't make such
posts.

Barry Schwarz

And be aware that PCBUTTS is still stalking myself and others in his
Usenet postings, showing that you would be dealing with an unethical and
dangerous person if you followed their advice. The website that he
directs you to has been used to contain filthy pornographic materials
that he has created, do you want to risk that?

While at least part of the contents of the post are true, the post
itself is a forgery.