tablet installation problem / USB Human Interface Device


G

Guest

Hi all,
I recently bought a Manhattan "True-Touch" tablet with USB support but I am
having problem getting it to work under XP SP2.

When I plug in the USB, I get following messages:
- Found new hardware Tablet WP5540U
- Found new hardware USB Human Interface Device

Then I am presented with a "Found New Hardware Wizard" window. Here I tried
all the available options. Whatever I try, I keep getting the following error:
"There was a problem installing this hardware:
Tablet WP5540U
An error occurred during the installation of the device
The data is invalid"

I tried plugging in the tablet on my friend's Win2000 machine. It works
perfect there. I didn't have to install any drivers, just a simple plug and
play. So why is it complaining on XP SP2? My USB port has no problem. I was
using my scanner on that very port. I also tried in other USB ports- got same
problem.

Is it something to do with USB Human Interface Device? I don't know what
that exactly is. Out of curiousity, I checked the Services under
Administrative Tools (Start > Run > services.msc). Here I found "Human
Interface Device Access". It was stopped. I tried to start it but I get the
error message:
"Could not start the Human Interface Device Access service on Local Computer.
Error 126: The specified module could not be found."

Since my tablet works under Win2000, I think the problem is with my XP,
possibly in that Human Interface Device thing. I sent email to "Manhattan"
but I am yet to get a reply from them. So I need some expert advice on this
please!

My system: WinXP Pro SP2, Pentium4 CPU 2.60GHz, 512MB RAM.

Thanx a lot!
Ben
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

BenX said:
Hi all,
I recently bought a Manhattan "True-Touch" tablet with USB support but I am
having problem getting it to work under XP SP2.

When I plug in the USB, I get following messages:
- Found new hardware Tablet WP5540U
- Found new hardware USB Human Interface Device

Then I am presented with a "Found New Hardware Wizard" window. Here I tried
all the available options. Whatever I try, I keep getting the following error:
"There was a problem installing this hardware:
Tablet WP5540U
An error occurred during the installation of the device
The data is invalid"

I tried plugging in the tablet on my friend's Win2000 machine. It works
perfect there. I didn't have to install any drivers, just a simple plug and
play. So why is it complaining on XP SP2? My USB port has no problem. I was
using my scanner on that very port. I also tried in other USB ports- got same
problem.

Is it something to do with USB Human Interface Device? I don't know what
that exactly is. Out of curiousity, I checked the Services under
Administrative Tools (Start > Run > services.msc). Here I found "Human
Interface Device Access". It was stopped. I tried to start it but I get the
error message:
"Could not start the Human Interface Device Access service on Local Computer.
Error 126: The specified module could not be found."
I managed to fix this problem by copying hidserv.dll, mouhid.sys and
mouclass.sys from XP CD's i386\ directory to windows\system32. Then when I
restarted the Human Interface Device, it worked.

Apart from this, my tablet still doesn't work. All the other problems
persist. I really need some help with this asap.

Thanx
Ben
 
M

Malke

BenX said:
I managed to fix this problem by copying hidserv.dll, mouhid.sys and
mouclass.sys from XP CD's i386\ directory to windows\system32. Then
when I restarted the Human Interface Device, it worked.

Apart from this, my tablet still doesn't work. All the other problems
persist. I really need some help with this asap.
I'm afraid you will need to contact the makers of your tablet for tech
support with their product. The fact that it works with Win2k indicates
that it is an older product and perhaps its software has not been
upgraded to work with the newer, more secure WinXP.

Malke
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

Malke said:
I'm afraid you will need to contact the makers of your tablet for tech
support with their product. The fact that it works with Win2k indicates
that it is an older product and perhaps its software has not been
upgraded to work with the newer, more secure WinXP.
I fixed my problem. I'll post the solution. Hope this might be helpful for
other ppl in the future.

My problem was something to do with my XP config... I noticed that there
were some files missing from windows\system32\drivers folder. Probably this
happened while I was installing XP for the very first time, perhaps due to
corrupt drivers.cab file. The result was some files were not copied.

I copied following files from "another" XP CD's drivers.cab archive (inside
i386 folder) to my computer's windows\system32:
hidserv.dll
mouhid.sys
mouclass.sys

I also copied the following file from drivers.cab archive to
windows\system32\drivers:
hidusb.sys
As far as I know, there should also be 2 other files present in that folder:
hidclass.sys
hidparse.sys

Then I simply removed the invalid tablet entry from Device Manager. Then I
plugged in the tablet again in USB. Bingo!! It works.

Thanks for replies!!

Ben
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top