System32/Drivers/pci.sys Corrupt or Missing

G

Went to boot up the laptop today and Windows XP Pro will not boot, screen comes up saying System32/Drivers/pci.sys missing or corrupt. Trying to figure out how to correct this, laptop worked fine last night now today nothing. Any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

G

Okay I think I found the culprit but question is why. I purchased new ram, wanted to go from 128mb to 384mb. Well with the 256mb and 128mb stick installed and system it causes the error coming up. If I install a 128mb and 64mb stick it boots up fine. I think the 256mb stick is causing it. I'm not sure why as it is recognized in system setup. I don't think if the stick was bad it would be recognized in setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

Experienced much the same thing. I had just upgraded my copy of Norton Systemworks and it asked me to reboot. Upon reboot I got the same error. Tried to run setup from the install cd (to type 'r' at the first screen, as suggested) but setup would not get beyond loading the kernel. Safe Mode also would not get past a cetain point. I could not get a command prompt or anything. Frustrating

Then I looked up this newsgroup and found Scott's suggestion. I immediatelly shut down, pulled the covers and removed the RAM. I then reinserted it into the other socket and it booted up fine. A backup is my next task, but I am greatly relieved

The question remains .... why?

Reaction score
I just insalled XP Pro onto over windows 2000, it went fine but it said ntldr could not be coppied so i tried to boot windows 2000 but it said sytem/drivers/pci.sys is corrupt or missing
THIS IS ALL IN A BLUE SCREEN!
can you help me??

Ask a Question