"System Volume Information" folder?

G

I recently discovered via AVG that there was a virus in my "System Volume Information" folder and to scan for it so I could delete it. The file was called A0068777.dll, anyway, I scanned for it, and no virus was found. So I decided I ought to look at the virus and decide what to do with it manually. It was supposed to be on C:\, but it wasn't there, so I went to folder options and turned off the 'hide protected operating system files" option, and the folder appeared. However, that wasn't the end of my problem. I try to open the folder and it says "C:\System Volume Information\ is not accessible. Access is denied". So I brought my problem to the people on the virus message board and they're not quite sure what a System Volume Information folder is, or whether its an actual system folder and not just planted on my computer. I was also told that turning off system restore might help, which didn't work. So now I've come to ask the XP experts, just what is a "System Volume Information" folder? Is it part of XP? Is it in any way related to system restore? But most of all, how can I gain access to it?

B

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

The System Volume Information is the folder in which WinXP's
System Restore feature stores information used to recover from errors.

To clear viruses from the "System Volume Information," simply turn
off the System Restore feature (Start > All Programs > Accessories >
System Tools > System Restore, System Restore Settings), reboot, then
re-enable System Restore, and reboot one last time. This will delete
all of your Restore Points, including the corrupted one(s), and allow
you start with a clean slate.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

Ask a Question