System Safety Monitor has now freeware version

Goeroeboeroe

Homepage/download: http://www.syssafety.com/

I use this program now about one year, and next to the paid version
there's a freeware version now.
First one thing, before some Sherlock Holms finds conflict of interests:
I made the Dutch translation for this program in exchange for a license
for the paid version.

The freeware version is the program I used till now, but from now on the
paid version will have extra things. About the freeware version:
it's an anti-intrusion program, and by far the best I know. It beats
programs like PrevX and WinPatrol by miles. It's a bit hard to get used
to it, but that has to do with the heavy protection it offers.

It checks the usual things like new startups.
It checks program changes with checksums. It controls which program is
allowed to start which other program, which program is allowed to load
which driver, etc. It can keep a program running if it is closed down by
some malware. (Actually I use this last feature to prevent myself from
closing down my RSI-prevention-program :blush:) Etc.

And again: I have no interests with this program, except that I made the
Dutch translation, and that I think the freeware version is a really
good program.

Peter

hummingbird

[...]

Thanks. Honesty is always the best policy ;-)
Regards
....Sherlock Holms

Susan Bugher

Goeroeboeroe said:
I use this program now about one year, and next to the paid version
there's a freeware version now.
First one thing, before some Sherlock Holms finds conflict of interests:
I made the Dutch translation for this program in exchange for a license
for the paid version.

The freeware version is the program I used till now, but from now on the
paid version will have extra things.

erm. . . re the free *now* part. . . This app has been freeware and/or
expire/renewable ware. Is that why you say there's now a free version
AND also say you've used the free verion for a year?

About the freeware version:
it's an anti-intrusion program, and by far the best I know. It beats
programs like PrevX and WinPatrol by miles. It's a bit hard to get used
to it, but that has to do with the heavy protection it offers.

It checks the usual things like new startups.
It checks program changes with checksums. It controls which program is
allowed to start which other program, which program is allowed to load
which driver, etc. It can keep a program running if it is closed down by
some malware. (Actually I use this last feature to prevent myself from
closing down my RSI-prevention-program :blush:) Etc.

And again: I have no interests with this program, except that I made the
Dutch translation, and that I think the freeware version is a really
good program.

So do others in ACF. :) It was nominated for the 2005PL.
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/2005PL-Nominations.php

dunno why/when they changed the name of the company, but it's the same app.

A little more info. . . $ware version is 2.1.0.576, free version is
2.0.8.574 - both versions released on 28 June 2006. I note they say:

"IMPORTANT NOTE for Windows 9x users: Windows 9x is not supported in
2.1+. The functionality of 2.1 would be too hard to implement for
Windows 9x and we can not afford that given the Windows 9x market
perspectives. However SSM 2 freeware will continue to support Windows 9x
as much as possible."

whatever that means. . . arghhhhhhhhhh. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

bassbag

[...]

The initial developer transferred all rights to new developers in april
2005.The SSM offered now is far superior and stable to the original
release.I also use the payware version on 98 ,and to be honest it doesnt
really need any more support for 98 as it does just about everything it
can do given the operating system limitations.Im not exactly sure what
the freeware release contains ,but the version there is .574 whereas the
payware version for 98 is .573.I too am a little perplexed as to wehther
the freeware version is the whole of 98 payware version ,and just a cut
down version for xp users..Whichever way it is a fine programe ,and as
isay rather different from the last freeware release.
me

Goeroeboeroe

erm. . . re the free *now* part. . . This app has been freeware and/or
expire/renewable ware. Is that why you say there's now a free version
AND also say you've used the free verion for a year?

Hi Susan,
I was already afraid this was not too clear. I'll try it again.
Once there was a freeware version. I think they planned to make it
shareware when it was finished, but it was freeware.

The program became more or less usable, so they made it shareware (with
a trial period). There was no free version anymore. Since I got a
license, I could use the program.

Now they changed it again: the shareware is still the shareware, nothing
changed, so for me it's the same. But now comes the complicated part:
I got an update, with much more possibilities, but this is shareware.

The program I used until this update they made freeware. And that's how
I know it works good, because my shareware-version (until the last
update) is the same as what's now the freeware-version.
About the freeware version:

So do others in ACF. :) It was nominated for the 2005PL.
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/2005PL-Nominations.php

Ah, I didn't notice that...
dunno why/when they changed the name of the company, but it's the same app.

Don't know either.
A little more info. . . $ware version is 2.1.0.576, free version is
2.0.8.574 - both versions released on 28 June 2006. I note they say:

"IMPORTANT NOTE for Windows 9x users: Windows 9x is not supported in
2.1+. The functionality of 2.1 would be too hard to implement for
Windows 9x and we can not afford that given the Windows 9x market
perspectives. However SSM 2 freeware will continue to support Windows 9x
as much as possible."

whatever that means. . . arghhhhhhhhhh. . . ;)

The registry-monitoring part seems to be too difficult to implement on
Windows 9x, if I understood it well. That's the new part in the
shareware-version.
I think they have a commercial intrest in supporting Windows 9x, because
of course they hope people buy the shareware-version. So maybe the
support will keep good. On the forums they react very fast when there
are questions or bugs.
Peter

Goeroeboeroe

The initial developer transferred all rights to new developers in april
2005.The SSM offered now is far superior and stable to the original
release.I also use the payware version on 98 ,and to be honest it doesnt
really need any more support for 98 as it does just about everything it
can do given the operating system limitations.Im not exactly sure what
the freeware release contains ,but the version there is .574 whereas the
payware version for 98 is .573.I too am a little perplexed as to wehther
the freeware version is the whole of 98 payware version ,and just a cut
down version for xp users..Whichever way it is a fine programe ,and as
isay rather different from the last freeware release.
me

Since this is a bit unclear I've sent them a mail and asked it. As far
as I know they are the same, besides some bug fixes etc. The Dutch
translation is the same for 573 and 574, except some small changes,
so...
But I'll post the answer here.

Peter

Goeroeboeroe

zwitser1- said:
Since this is a bit unclear I've sent them a mail and asked it. As far
as I know they are the same, besides some bug fixes etc. The Dutch
translation is the same for 573 and 574, except some small changes,
so...
But I'll post the answer here.

Peter
Got an answer: it are exactly the same programs, with a couple of bug
fixes.

Peter

Susan Bugher

Goeroeboeroe said:
zwitser1- said:
You're looking at the wrong end of the numbers. ;) Versions per the home
page *begin* with 2.1 versus 2.0 - see http://www.syssafety.com/

28.06.2006
System Safety Monitor 2.1.0.576 was released

28.06.2006
System Safety Monitor Free Edition was released, build 2.0.8.574

I too am a little perplexed as to wehther
Got an answer: it are exactly the same programs, with a couple of bug
fixes.

See the revision history:
http://www.syssafety.com/releasenotes.html#SSM210build576

They are using an *old* version as their free Liteware. There are *many*
changes/improvements listed for the 2.1 versions versus the 2.0 versions.

The "couple of bug fixes" info perhaps refer to changes from v 2.0.8.573
to v 2.0.8.574 (the revision history doesn't show v 2.0.8.574)

re my question about the meaning of "However SSM 2 freeware will
continue to support Windows 9x as much as possible." - perhaps that
means they'll continue to make bug fixes to the 2.0 version. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Goeroeboeroe

Goeroeboeroe said:
zwitser1- said:
[...]

One of te developers wrote on their forum:

"In general we are about to provide some basic level of support the free
edition - the bugs will be fixed, some GUI/usability improvements will
be added to the with some delay after 2.1. "

Peter

Susan Bugher

Goeroeboeroe said:
One of te developers wrote on their forum:

"In general we are about to provide some basic level of support the free
edition - the bugs will be fixed, some GUI/usability improvements will
be added to the with some delay after 2.1. "

Thanks Peter. I wish they would say that on their front page - IMO
that's a much more *understandable* statement. ;)

IMO we'll have to be careful to distinguish between the free version (v
2.0) and pay (v 2.1+) versions when assessing the performance of this
app - a not uncommon problem. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

bassbag

Goeroeboeroe said:
zwitser1- said:
You're looking at the wrong end of the numbers. ;) Versions per the home
page *begin* with 2.1 versus 2.0 - see http://www.syssafety.com/

28.06.2006
System Safety Monitor 2.1.0.576 was released

28.06.2006
System Safety Monitor Free Edition was released, build 2.0.8.574

I too am a little perplexed as to wehther
Hello susan..
The versions 2.0 are for 98/me systems whereas 2.1 are xp/2000
development.The team branched off to develop both for a while.The xp
version obvuiously having more functions.There is however registry
monitoring in the 98 2.0 registered version/and the free 2.0 version ,as
they are the same.The rehistry monitoring is similar to regprot but a lot
better with more keys watched.Obviously the registry monitoring in the
2.1 xp version probably goes a lttle deeper and is perhaps realtime
rather than polling (its a fraction of a sec really).However the free
version offered now (for 98/me users anyway) is far superior to the free
version last year ,and in fact last week you would have had to pay for
it.
me

bassbag

I should mention the 2.0 version also works on xp/2000 but is not as
"functional" as the newer 2.1 series.For 98/me users though ,its
brilliant because its the only hips programme that i know of that works
on older os.
me

Susan Bugher

bassbag said:
The versions 2.0 are for 98/me systems whereas 2.1 are xp/2000
development.The team branched off to develop both for a while.The xp
version obvuiously having more functions.There is however registry
monitoring in the 98 2.0 registered version/and the free 2.0 version ,as
they are the same.

I think you're trying to confuse me. ;) AFAICT the free version (v 2.0)
works on 9x/2K/XP and the payware version is *only* for 2K/XP. AFAICT
there is no "2.0 registered version" now. See:
http://www.syssafety.com/files.html

The rehistry monitoring is similar to regprot but a lot
better with more keys watched.Obviously the registry monitoring in the
2.1 xp version probably goes a lttle deeper and is perhaps realtime
rather than polling (its a fraction of a sec really).However the free
version offered now (for 98/me users anyway) is far superior to the free
version last year ,and in fact last week you would have had to pay for
it.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

bassbag

I think you're trying to confuse me. ;) AFAICT the free version (v 2.0)
works on 9x/2K/XP and the payware version is *only* for 2K/XP. AFAICT
there is no "2.0 registered version" now. See:
http://www.syssafety.com/files.html

The rehistry monitoring is similar to regprot but a lot

Susan
I know theres no 2.0 registered version now ,because i am (was) a
registered user of 2.0.8.573 and the free is now 2.0.8.574.So to update
any longer , i need to use the free version which is exactly the same
only with bugs fixed.I think the SSM team might have explained what was
happening a little better...lol.However its still good news for those
wanting a hips programe that uses so little resources.
me

Goeroeboeroe

I know theres no 2.0 registered version now ,because i am (was) a
registered user of 2.0.8.573 and the free is now 2.0.8.574.So to update
any longer , i need to use the free version which is exactly the same
only with bugs fixed.I think the SSM team might have explained what was
happening a little better...lol.However its still good news for those
wanting a hips programe that uses so little resources.
me
Eh, let's say they could clarify some things a bit better, and the
website also could be a bit more clear. I think they're going to update
the site soon, so maybe you can find information there easier.
I follow the forums and have frequent contact for translations, but even
I didn't understand exactly what happened.
(Okay, there's a possibility too I'm just plain dumb, I agree)

Peter

Susan Bugher

Goeroeboeroe said:
Eh, let's say they could clarify some things a bit better, and the
website also could be a bit more clear. I think they're going to update
the site soon, so maybe you can find information there easier.
I follow the forums and have frequent contact for translations, but even
I didn't understand exactly what happened.

Their approach is actually quite straightforward - now that we've
managed to figure it out. ;) Thanks to both of you for the help. :)
(Okay, there's a possibility too I'm just plain dumb, I agree)

Nah.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Aaron

See the revision history:
http://www.syssafety.com/releasenotes.html#SSM210build576

They are using an *old* version as their free Liteware. There are
*many* changes/improvements listed for the 2.1 versions versus the 2.0
versions.

Hate to nitpick but the *new version* you are talking about (the 2.1
versions) were released on the same day as the freeware version 2.08
versions. The other 2.1 versions were beta (for windows XP).

For someone who doesn't use betas, 2.08+ versions were the current version
until 28/6/06 where they split the lines.

Not sure what the confusion is. Basically if you are a win98 user only and
you paid for a license, you got screwed. :)

Aaron

There is however registry
monitoring in the 98 2.0 registered version/and the free 2.0 version
,as they are the same.The rehistry monitoring is similar to regprot
but a lot better with more keys watched.Obviously the registry
monitoring in the 2.1 xp version probably goes a lttle deeper and is
perhaps realtime rather than polling (its a fraction of a sec
really).

Well polling constantly has also a fairly siginificant resoure cost.

There are a few freeware programs that hook the registry as opposed to
polling, but none work for windows 98....