System Restore:"no restore points available"

Discussion in 'Windows XP Setup' started by Phil C., Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Phil C.

    Phil C. Guest

    I just did a sfc/scannow to check my system integrity after
    uninstalling a program. In my event viewer, I noticed the following:
    The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000056'
    while processing the file 'oembios.bin.new' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'.
    It has stopped monitoring the volume.
    Checking the "System Restore" Tab of System Properties shows that my hard
    drive volumes are being monitored.
    When I run system restore, and go to do a restore,
    I get the message: "There are currently no restore points available" and I
    cannot select any dates from
    the calendar, nor go back a month. I know I've installed lots of software
    periodically, so there should be plently
    of restore points.
    Does anyone have an idea about this???

    Phil
    Boston, MA

    Phil C., Jan 26, 2004

  2. Phil C.

    Phil C. Guest

    A google search on the
    system restore filter error shows:

    System Restore Filter generates event error after SP1 update (event ID 1)
    bug 632640
    After updating Windows XP to Service Pack 1 there is an error in the event
    viewer. The file listed in as being processed may be different to each
    update of SP1. In this example 'sysaudio.sys' is displayed by event viewer.

    Event Type: Error

    Event Source: sr

    Event Category: None

    Event ID: 1

    Date: 5/30/2002

    Time: 2:57:00 PM

    User: N/A

    Computer: VT9001D

    The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000056'
    while processing the file 'sysaudio.sys' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume2'.
    It has stopped monitoring the volume.

    Need addition info on what causes this, see bug.

    Phil C., Jan 26, 2004

  3. Phil C.

    Guest

    if u have not on the restore setting date in CONTROL
    PANEL/SYSTEM/SYSTEM RESTORE where u can find the radio
    button to let the computer remeber the date for system
    restore point. If u never on that button, u will not have
    restor point on ur calendar..

    Hope u can manage to find it. or may be u need more expert
    advise!

    tommy

    , Jan 26, 2004
  4. Phil C.

    MAP Guest

    S/R back on and reboot a second time.This should create a
    auto check point,try it to see if it works.If it does not
    then go here.

    www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    scroll through the listings and look for "Restore system
    Restore" and run the edit.Good Luck

    MAP, Jan 26, 2004
  5. Phil C.

    Phil C. Guest

    Map,

    I did as you suggested and did get a system restore point.
    I'll have to install some programs or leave the computer running for more
    than a day to see if the automatic/program install restore points kick in
    properly.
    I guess/suppose that the original error in my event viewer may not be fixed
    until Sp2, and I hope it does not reoccur and purge my restore points.

    Phil

    Phil C., Jan 26, 2004