System Restore destroyed my computer

G

I got the tellfriend bug on my computer, and two separate virus scans didn't pick it up, and I couldn't find it anywhere in Add/Remove programs, so I tried running a System Restore. After the restore, my desktop background was changed, several useful programs (MS Instant Messenger, AIM, Warcraft 3) that had been installed before and after the tellfriend bug were removed, all of my favorites were removed from IE, and I had to re-"register" myself in my e-mail account, which no longer had any of my e-mails. However, the tellfriend bug remained. I immediately went back to the System Restore wizard and ran Undo last Restoration. When the computer rebooted, though, nothing was changed. The e-mail was still messed up, the programs still uninstalled, etc. I tried and undid a couple more restorations with no result. I don't even care about the bug anymore, how do I get my computer back like it was?

T

Tricia

Garrett said:
I got the tellfriend bug on my computer, and two separate virus scans
didn't pick it up, and I couldn't find it anywhere in Add/Remove programs,
so I tried running a System Restore. After the restore, my desktop
background was changed, several useful programs (MS Instant Messenger, AIM,
Warcraft 3) that had been installed before and after the tellfriend bug were
removed, all of my favorites were removed from IE, and I had to
re-"register" myself in my e-mail account, which no longer had any of my
e-mails. However, the tellfriend bug remained. I immediately went back to
the System Restore wizard and ran Undo last Restoration. When the computer
rebooted, though, nothing was changed. The e-mail was still messed up, the
programs still uninstalled, etc. I tried and undid a couple more
restorations with no result. I don't even care about the bug anymore, how
do I get my computer back like it was?

With a lot of patience

G

Try the earliest date to restore if that dont work it must have something to do with the bug. May i suggest that you do some research on the bug so that you may learn as much as possible about this bug. Here are a few things to look for it's actions, does it continue to write it's self to the registry will you have to turn of system restore before rebooting after removal of this bug etc...

G

The bug is just an annoying toolbar in IE that claims to block pop-ups and changed the search settings and occasionally brings up a huge ad that forces you to close the program. It doesn't affect anything else on the computer. I tried System Restore to the earliest possible date, and there was still no change.

Ask a Question