System Process

Matt Chapman

Hi guys

I have a slight probles with a Tecra 8200 running Windows
2K. That being the system process keeps hitting 97-99% cpu.

This machine is running W2K SP3 with all of the latest
updates - we haven't fully tested sp4 yet but have heard
there are issues.

It has Notes 5.0.9 and office 2K SR3 installed too but the
system process will do this whether there is anything
running or not.

Unfortunately with it being the system process I cannot
end task on it. It sometimes gives up after a couple of
minutes but usually I end up switching the machine off.

any ideas would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks

Matt

Paul Dietrich

Hi guys

I have a slight probles with a Tecra 8200 running Windows 2K. That being
the system process keeps hitting 97-99% cpu.

This machine is running W2K SP3 with all of the latest updates - we
haven't fully tested sp4 yet but have heard there are issues.

It has Notes 5.0.9 and office 2K SR3 installed too but the system process
will do this whether there is anything running or not.

Unfortunately with it being the system process I cannot end task on it.
It sometimes gives up after a couple of minutes but usually I end up
switching the machine off.

any ideas would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks

Matt

System Process-- NOT System Idle Process? If System Idle, then it's normal
behavior. If it IS the System process, then check for viruses. Are you
having add'l symptoms?

Just checking.

pd

Matt Chapman

Hi Paul

Thanks for that.
It is definately the System process.

We have the Norton Anti-Virus client running (7
corporate) with updates coming from the corporate server.

We have other 8200's built from the same ghost image
which do not show this symptom.

My initial thought was a hardware problem but I don't
believe it could be as the machine keeps on running (task
manager will change the cpu% of other tasks).

Ta

Matt

Paul Dietrich

Hi Paul

Thanks for that.
It is definately the System process.

We have the Norton Anti-Virus client running (7 corporate) with updates
coming from the corporate server.

We have other 8200's built from the same ghost image which do not show
this symptom.

My initial thought was a hardware problem but I don't believe it could be
as the machine keeps on running (task manager will change the cpu% of
other tasks).

Anything odd in the event logs?

Have you also tried:

chkdsk /r /f
sfc /scannow (have win2k cd ready)

And blasphemy: but what happens if you disable the virus scanner?

Since these 8200s are built from the same image, does your problem child
have ANY different hardware from its siblings?

Matt Chapman

Hi Paul

I have just started using Google groups to access the Microsoft
Newsgroups (work don't allow newsgroup access from OE).
Having searched from here I have found that there have been a few
people in the past who have had the same issue and one user posted
that it was due to a corrupted NAV installation.

Having uninstalled and reinstalled NAV the issue does appear to have
gone away.

Thanks very much for all of your help and suggestions though.

Matt

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

Thx for the update!