Windows XP System Hang on Shut Down/Switch User

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I gotta problem. Not again? I hear you ask... Yup
nod.gif

The problem began within just the last couple of days, when the system (the XP-Pro Novatech one) seemed to hang when it reached the "Windows is shutting down" screen. To cut a long story short, after looking in Event Viewer, it seemed that Event ID 1517 was responsible, so I checked it out on Microsoft's website and then downloaded their recommendation "UPHClean" which seemed to help a bit.

This evening, I went to the Switch User screen so that Terry could log on - leaving myself logged on with BOINC, etc., running. When he had finished surfing and logged off, he couldn't. I took over and at the third attempt, the "logging off" screen appeared, but, instead of then asking whether we wanted to "Switch User" it hung for ages then screen just went black.

The monitor flashed up the "no signal" message, but the CPU was still running - I could hear the fans and the HDD light was flickering. The only way I could get it to resume though, was to press the reset button on the front. It then went through the re-booting process.

I've looked into Event Viewer again.... but now I'm out of my depth, because I'm not sure which events are relevant. I know that sounds "wet" but there are a number of events listed under the System and Application tabs....... frankly I'm giving a Gallic shrug and a very deep sigh... duh! I think I need to be pointed in the right direction, please, if that is possible? Thank you for reading this :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Found this in a long list of possible causes for your problem . The interesting bit is about setting UPHClean in reporting mode to inform you of what is causing the problem . If you can get it to do that then I'm sure the peeps here will use the info to sort you out lickety split .

[size=-1]
Robin Caron (Last update 12/6/2004):
I have written a freeware service (UPHClean) which monitors for user logging out and insures that user profile hive handles that are opened are closed. It logs what process was holding the handle and what the key name was. If you are really interest in details it can even get a call stack, which will give you the code path where the handle was opened. Ultimately, UPHClean closing these handles allows the system (Userenv) to unload the profile normally and no 1517 or 1524 event is logged. UPHClean can also be used in a report mode where it will not take any action but will still log the information about process and key (and optionally call stack) so you can still find out what is causing the 1517 or 1524 event without being worried that it will cause other problems. Thousands of people have used UPHClean already. See the link to "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service" to download it.

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1517&eventno=1206&source=Userenv&phase=1

user.gif

[/size]

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for going to that trouble AB, much appreciated, I will take a closer look at that link after breakfast (when brain has woken up properly):thumb:

Ask a Question