Sysprep on XP Pro Tablet Edition - NO PRODUCT KEY REQUIRED?!!

Dave Chapman

I have just purchased HP Tablets. They come preloaded with XP Pro Tablet
Edition.

I have installed the neccessary application and then Sysprep'd it.

Now upon first boot up after the image has been deployed, it is asking for
the 25 digit product key. I could not find the product key anywhere even
though the Tablets have been purchased with XP so I called HP for help after
looking for 20 mins.

Here is the funny part!! HP Claim that there is no such thing as a product
key for XP Tablet edition and there answer is simply to use the restore CDs
(good fix HP).

Know MS licensing is not even sure of what I should be using.

I dont really want to have to resort to use the restore CD's and load
applications on top individually.

Any help anyone?

Thanks.

Dave

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows XP Tablet PC Edition Frequently Asked Questions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327160

Tablet PC Deployment
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...hnet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/tpcdploy.asp

Deploying Windows XP Tablet PC Edition: Single-Image Deployment Supplemental Information
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...47-f2a7-416f-98eb-cb127d7d328a&DisplayLang=en

Please visit the experts in the Tablet PC newsgroup

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Dave Chapman" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| I have just purchased HP Tablets. They come preloaded with XP Pro Tablet
| Edition.
|
| I have installed the neccessary application and then Sysprep'd it.
|
| Now upon first boot up after the image has been deployed, it is asking for
| the 25 digit product key. I could not find the product key anywhere even
| though the Tablets have been purchased with XP so I called HP for help after
| looking for 20 mins.
|
| Here is the funny part!! HP Claim that there is no such thing as a product
| key for XP Tablet edition and there answer is simply to use the restore CDs
| (good fix HP).
|
| Know MS licensing is not even sure of what I should be using.
|
| I dont really want to have to resort to use the restore CD's and load
| applications on top individually.
|
| Any help anyone?
|
| Thanks.
|
| Dave

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Dave,
There are Product Keys for Tablet PCs. However HP may not be distributing
separate keys for their Tablet PC systems.
However you should not be running sysprep on OEM media. Sysprep should
only be used on either volume or retail media. Sysprepping OEM media is
not supported.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| From: "Dave Chapman" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Sysprep on XP Pro Tablet Edition - NO PRODUCT KEY REQUIRED?!!
| Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:06:42 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| I have just purchased HP Tablets. They come preloaded with XP Pro Tablet
| Edition.
|
| I have installed the neccessary application and then Sysprep'd it.
|
| Now upon first boot up after the image has been deployed, it is asking for
| the 25 digit product key. I could not find the product key anywhere even
| though the Tablets have been purchased with XP so I called HP for help
after
| looking for 20 mins.
|
| Here is the funny part!! HP Claim that there is no such thing as a
product
| key for XP Tablet edition and there answer is simply to use the restore
CDs
| (good fix HP).
|
| Know MS licensing is not even sure of what I should be using.
|
| I dont really want to have to resort to use the restore CD's and load
| applications on top individually.
|
| Any help anyone?
|
| Thanks.
|
| Dave

D.Currie

Dave Chapman said:
[...]

This might be a silly question, but did you turn the tablet over and look on
the bottom to see if there's a sticker with the CD key?